Bit Plunging On My Z Axis

After making a few signs/flags for the Christmas buying season, I’ve encountered an issue with my Z plunging into my workpieces. I own the Longmill 30x30 and use Carbide Create and gSender. I also use the touch plate. I decided to uninstall both programs and reinstall along with checking everything on my machine which may have loosened over time. I’ve posted in a few groups for answers, so far…no luck. I was in the process of making a few Buffalo Bills flags. HELP !!!

If you have not already done so, perhaps ensure that your drive gears at the top of your “Z” are properly positioned and tight.

Andy

1 Like

@46er12003 Kevin: Can you post the gcode file for one of the jobs that is glitching?

Hey guys, it appears that I had some static interference. I had made a DIY enclosure for my Longmill to keep most of the dust at bay, unfortunately, I wasn’t aware that the PVC material I made it with and along with the colder temps, that it would have an affect. I did however, unplug from my main power source for 24 hours and all appears to be running smooth. I gathered suggested troubleshooting from the Longmill FB page. Is it possible that the PVC was the culprit or was it just a coincidence?

@46er12003 PVC could very well have been the culprit. The friction from the dust and chips running through it definitely creates static. It’s been a known factor in woodworking shops for as long as I can remember. On long runs, you can see air borne dust sticking to the outside of PVC pipes in the shop. So, while it could have been a coincidence, it’s more than likely an issue with the PVC.

I was going to guess static. Check into grounding your enclosure/vacuum hose. There’s lot of info out there on how to do it. Good luck!