Drill press stand I progress

I’ve got an upcoming project I’ve been thinking about, and I decided to do a little proof of concept since I was making a stand for my drill press.

It turned out ok. It’s mostly plywood from the scrap heap that was way past it’s prime, so it’s not great. I used a 90 degree v-bit at 100in/min. I started out around 20k rpm, then when I noticed it start heating up I played with the speeds some… Didn’t help. There’s some pretty gnarly scorching throughout.

I really need to get these feeds/speeds down before trying to tackle nicer projects. I’m thinking about a database of decent feeds/speeds for different bit types and materials that we can all contribute to, but I don’t have the skills (yet) to make it happen.

Also, does anyone know how to change feedrate mid-job on ugs platform? There’s already been a couple times I’ve wished I could.

2 Likes

You can change feedrate in-process by choosing Window>Overrides and then adjust feedrates as needed. I’ve done it a few times when things were going a little too slowly.

1 Like

Scott beat me to it on overrides. As for plywood burning, one of the main causes of any tool heating up in plywood is the glue used between the plys. I am very new to CNC, but in my woodworking hobby “business”, I have found that drill bits, router bits and even saw blades are punished by plywood, especially cheap stuff.

1 Like

When I went buy a drill press then I wanted to good cut cutter went buy then I after much searching buy a drill press. which when 4225 drill press you can want to buy this product very good. I as fair know.