First cuts - Go big or go home

This thing is so much fun to play with!! I mean to leverage as a useful tool in the workshop.

Here is my literal first cut with the Longmill. My wife wanted a charcuterie board so I spent a little time in Fusion and used camlab to build the Gcode. I have a little experience with CNC lasers and 3d printing so I guess that this was a natural transition.

Luckily I had this random piece of cherry laying around. I did need to run it through my planer to pull out a twist since it had been sitting on end for the last 4 years in a corner. I haven’t gotten a chance to print my clamps yet so I just stuck it down with painters tape and CA. I think it turned out great and I learned a bunch.

Thank you Longmill family

7 Likes

@jdh Beautifully done, Jason.

Thank you. I guess in the spirit of sharing. I should say that I cut it with a 1/4” down cut bit at 1 on my router. 1500mm feed rate and 250mm plunge.

I didn’t have any chatter or issues. Or at least at this point I’m too naive to know that I had any issues.

-jason

1 Like

@jdh That’s interesting Jason. This is not a criticism, but to me, that is very slow. I’m just starting to consider chip load charts as a starting off point for feeds and speeds. In the one that I am playing with, using 10000 rpm as the speed and a 2-flute 1/4" bit, the suggested feed rate is between 180 and 220 IPM in hardwood. You are running at about 60 IPM and getting good results.

It shows that maybe these charts are not the be all and end all for Mill users.

If you think I can. I’ll definitely turn up the fees rate on my next go round. Thank you for the feedback and I certainly don’t take it as criticism as I’m just starting out and leading as I go.

-J

@jdh Jason: I want to hasten to add that my “thinking” is just that. While I am starting to look at chip load calculators, I still base my feeds and speeds more on how things sound and how the end result looks.

I am finding that, in MDF, for example, since “chips” are not produced anyway, the key factor is moving too slowly for the router speed and burning the edges. In hardwood, things get more complicated. I have quite a bit of experience with non-CNC milling and cutting hardwood - mostly maple and oak, but some cherry and walnut. Maple burns if you look at it the wrong way and cherry is right up there, too. This is true with router bits and saw blades. Finding the sweet spot has never been my strong suit. Add into that equation that, in CNC, a computer is running the cut and things just get more complicated.

All that “don’t blame me” said, if you are getting good results with your current settings, there is really no reason to change them. In fact, I believe, going forward, that I would be serving this group best if I simply shut up on this subject altogether. :neutral_face:

Production guys want to go as fast as they can since they are on the clock. Hobbyists need not concern themselves with that. Have fun.

Haha I will have fun. This is a hobby for me and I’m not looking to make any production runs. Also. No need to keep your mouth shut. I appreciate all feedback.

@jdh gotta love that grain, very nice work!

Thank you. It was actually a scrap tail from a cherry slab that had been kicking around my garage for the last couple years. It was pretty stinking dry. Lol.