gSender 0.6.6 is now here!: Feedback thread

@chrismakesstuff The ā€œimport macroā€ button does not seem to work. To test this assumption, I exported my macros as a .json file. In notepad, I edited that file, then saved it as a .json file of a different name. Then, I clicked on the ā€œimport macroā€ button and selected that .json file. Gsender seemed to do something, but the new macro was not added to the macro list. I opened and closed gsender - same result. The original list in my macros list was not altered either, so it was not replaced by my new .json file (thankfully).

Iā€™m guessing that, because all the macros in my macro list are in one file, the only way to import a macro is to edit that file and keep the same name.

edit: I did determine how it works. It seems that the only way to import a macro is to first export existing macros as a .json file. Then, open that file in notepad or any text editor. Then, new macros can be added to that file and the file saved as the same file name. Finally, that file can then be imported back into gsender. I did this and it worked. However, I suggest that this is not an optimal method for importing macros, as it requires the user to follow the format in the .json file, with its open and close parentheses and commas - not really intuitive.

Iā€™ve got the ā€˜+ā€™ bug noted down, itā€™s interesting that something so obscure just appears haha. For the Macros, I canā€™t really say whaā€™ts going on here other than Iā€™ve tested your steps and am seeing a similar result. Iā€™ll have to talk to the guys on how to fix this up.

As far as adding macros to gSender, Iā€™m not super clear on why youā€™d want to edit the json file when you can just create a new macro within gSender itself. Let me know your thoughts @gwilki

@chrismakesstuff I agree that the most common way of adding macros is simply to write them in gsender. Thatā€™s the way that I have done all of mine. I was simply ā€œpressing buttonsā€ as part of my incredibly extensive testing of this latest beta. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

I tested the export macros button and it worked as expected. Itā€™s an excellent way of ensuring that I have a full backup of my gsender macros. Then, I figured the next logical step was to test the import button. It was then that I found out that the only macro that gsender will import is one with the same name as the one that it previously exported. So, if I want to add functions to the ā€œbackupā€ copy, I need to either create new macros in gsender and re-export the .json file, or learn the structure of a .json file so that I can add to my previously-exported .json macro file, using a text editor. Thatā€™s all that I was getting at.

I would suggest that, if the purpose of the export and import buttons is to provide an easy way to backup and restore a .json macro file, the buttons would be better labelled ā€œbackupā€ and ā€œrestoreā€.

Edit: I just tried something and now have more to offer. I exported my macros. Then, I added a new macro using gsender. Then, I exported my macros again, with the new macro included. I checked and I had two files saved, with the same name except the time saved. Then, I imported the first file that I saved. It imported, but simply added to the already-open list. So, now I have two of all my macros in the ā€œactiveā€ list in gsender. Iā€™ll delete all the duplicates, of course, but I do believe this is a glitch. It would seem that the only way to do a proper restore would be to first delete all the ā€œactiveā€ macros in the list. Otherwise, a restore leaves the active list and adds all those in the backup file.

So just a theory

With joystick support coming I might want to take someone elseā€™s macros and that imported into mine

Or I might want to have a a series of macros for different jobs

Assuming Iā€™m working on a bunch of 12-in x 12 in jobs I might have macro set up to work in that size

Then if Iā€™m going to work on a project thatā€™s 24x24 my macros might be different because the go to start point might be different

This is one reason Iā€™m not saying itā€™s the only reason if you wanted a reason that would be a one I would use

Bug Report:

Iā€™m running gSender 0.6.6 and when I do a XY probe it is also changing the location in the Z axis (lowering by about 0.11 inches).

This is a problem because I like to make my spoil board Z=0 and then get an XY position on my work piece. Now I must remember to do that in reverse order (XY probe then Z probe). I have plowed into the top of my work piece and dug into my spoil board a few times because of this.

1 Like

Since the update I canā€™t keep connected but have not had any problems with ugs

@mfgnerd If you donā€™t mind my asking, Michael, are you using the plate/probe for Z, too? I just like to play with these things, so I just set Z0 on my spoilboard just by eye. Then, I used the probe module for X and Y. When I hit return to zero, Z returned to zero, which was on my spoilboard.

Today during a job, about 45 minutes in it came to a stop. I had to hit resume for it to finish. I have no idea if I did something wrong so Iā€™m posting about it here. Screen grab below right after it happened. I think this happened in the last version too but am really not sure. If it is not a bug, does anyone know what I did wrong? I donā€™t see any hiccups in the area where it happened and it finished the job just fine after I hit resume.

Not finding files.
Tried twice after a complete uninstall of gSender 0.6.5 windows x64.
But with gSender 0.6.6 I cannot pull up the Load File on request.
Yes the little arrow will show last requested files.
Reloaded gSender 0.6.5 and back to normal.
Havenā€™t seen anyone else with this issue, so not sure whatā€™s going wrong.

@Swinly Can you post your gcode file? Here is the definition for that error:

ā€œerror:25ā€ : _(ā€œA G-code word was repeated in the block.ā€),

1 Like

Hi @gwilki, I use the probe/plate to set the Z axis, then I use the probe module to do X and Y. After that I return my end mill to the surface of my spoil board (by eye).

I must be doing something funny because Iā€™m not having the problem today. Yesterday I was able to repeat the bug over and over and messed up two work pieces before I discovered the cause. Today everything is fine without issue.

@mfgnerd Iā€™m glad that things seem to be working well, now, Michael. These intermittent issues are the most difficult for the Sienci guys to address, as, often as not, they canā€™t reproduce them. Iā€™m just a user, like you, but I tried several times and could not reproduce the issue, either. With luck, youā€™ll be fine now.

Have fun.

@gwilki Not sure how to do that. What I thought was the gcode looks nothing like the gcode posted earlier in this thread and it is 13000+ lines.

Sorry my noobness is full displayā€¦lol

you can Attach gcode files in message note the little box with the up Arrow.

it will let you attach the Gcode file thats causing you grief

video to show how its done.
https://youtu.be/LPsZlXGVcWA

2 Likes

@Swinly Menglorā€™s video will show you exactly how to attach your gcode file. It could well be thousands of lines. From the screenshot you showed previously, it will be named seagull and happier text.gcode.

1 Like

@gwilki

Thanks for the vid @Menglor That is much better than the copy and paste job from a notepad I almost did.

Seagull and Happier Text.gcode (212.4 KB)

It is amazing how many computer issues are solved by rebooting your computer.

1 Like

@Swinly Just to follow up, L, I ran your file and it ran all the way through. However, before running it, I changed all the feed commands to much faster than you had set, just to move things along. Iā€™ll take the time today to run it as you sent it so that I can duplicate the error you are getting. Itā€™s odd, because the line that it stops on seems normal to me (for what thatā€™s worth).

Just out of curiosity, what CAM program generated the file?

@gwilki
Carveco Maker. I noticed yesterday that it is happening on other files too. Always during a pocket or area clearence tool path.

@Swinly Iā€™m running it at your speed now. Iā€™ll let you know what happens. In Carveco, what post processor are you using? Iā€™ve not used Carveco, so I donā€™t even know what your choices are.