gSender v1.1.2 X0 off by 1/2 bit diameter

gSender v1.1.2
Finally added inductive sensors, return to X0 was off before this change.
Changed EEPROM settings per video for sensors. Soft limits would only let me move a short distance in X and Y so turned that off again and restarted everything.
ALSO turned on ā€œReport In Inchesā€
Probe bottom left corner of material
Move gantry to random position
Return to XY zero, Y is right on, X is off in the -X direction by half the diameter of the bit used to probe, 1/4" bit. 1/4" V-bit had same results, 1/8" off 0,0 in the -X direction.
Turned ā€œreport In Inchesā€ off, re-started everything, re-probed XYZ with 1/4" bit. X0=1/4 of bit diameter (1/16") in -X direction when I hit return to XY zero.
Any settings I need to fix?

Im so glad to hear that someone else is having the same issue as me. Ive not heard anything back from Sienci about a whole host of issues including this one

@Pkaser Have you opened a support ticket? If not, you should.

Yep, but ive heard nothing back

Tinkered with this a little more this morning.
Re-flashed grbl firmware with gSender
Left default firmware settings after re-flash
Changed gSender workspace units to mm
Soft and hard limits off
G56 workspace
Probed with 1/4" Vbit 0.248 diameter
After probe, gSender returned to X= -0.5334 mm, Y= 4.445 mm
Hit return to XY0
X=good
Y=off by -0.254
Changed gSender workspace units to inches
Changed firmware to report in inches
Soft and hard limits off
Re-probed with same bit
gSender did not return to zero, returned to X= -0.021"
Y= +0.175"
Hit return to XY0
X=good
Y= off by -0.010
Re-flash seemed to help the X0 but Y0 is still off but a lot closer.
New issue though is gSender does not return to XY0 after probing

@RickW since youā€™re using a v-bit Iā€™m assuming youā€™re probing with the AutoZero block and probing procedure of ā€˜tipā€™?

@Pkaser since Iā€™m already on this thread, I figure Iā€™d also let you know that there are two ongoing tickets you have with us, both are waiting for your response. If your issues for probing are looking similar to Rickā€™s then feel free to add your own pictures or videos here to help sort out the problem if it turns out youā€™re both experiencing the same issue

2 Likes

@chrismakesstuff No, Iā€™m using the original probe block. The v-bit is a 3 flute 1/4", similar to a 1/4" end mill. Had the same results also with a 1/4" end mill. It is just easier to see with the v-bit. I have not had a chance to tinker with it since the upgrade to v1.1.3
Edit: v1.1.4

1 Like

@RickW I realize that Chris is handling this, and that I am new to all this, but I donā€™t understand how a v bit can possibly work to set XY0 using the original touch plate. I have that plate and using a v bit would have the ā€œwideā€ part of the bit touch the plate to set XY0. We want the point of the bit to be at XY0. How do you input the offset, if you donā€™t mind passing that along? Do you have a macro that jogs the Mill half the width of the bit in both X and Y?

@alanan @chrismakesstuff I am using the Amana Tool 45624, 1/4" ish all the way to the flutes, no strange bulge. Works perfect for probing, inlays, vcarves, etc. And you can run it faster with the 3 flutes! Also probed it with the Amana 1/4" 2 flute up cut bit just to check and got the same result. Also probed with the 1/4" up cut, removed up cut and replaced with the v-bit, stuffed it up into the router a little farther, and returned to XYZ0 just to check again. So if it was just a 0.250 ish rod, same results. Way easier to see the something-is-off
Edit:
Also tested this in all of the workspaces related to my jigs with same results. No macros, just standard probe.

1 Like

Understood what youā€™re doing now. Iā€™ll try to find time to test before end of week and see if anything comes up on my end. Not sure what it can be attributed to since Iā€™ve not heard of the issue elsewhere for general probing being off but perhaps no one is looking too closely at where the bit is returning to? Iā€™ll take a look and see

Thanks @chrismakesstuff
I didnā€™t notice it until doing a two sided oval bowl (Vectric Aspire) with a 3/16" wall thickness. After flipping the project to the other side (on the Y axis) and running the bottom 3D roughing and finish, the resulting difference was very obvious. If I flip the project on the X axis, the wall thickness is good but the difference causes the side of the board to blow out and come loose on the +Y side. So I started the v-bit testing. Love that bit for speed, fit for inlays, and a nice finish. Very sharp point! Perfect for testing also.

1 Like

Hey Rick, after running testing on our end on Friday we have yet to replicate the issues youā€™re seeing unfortunately. One thing that comes to mind is that maybe if you reset your gSender settings perhaps that could iron out the value thatā€™s being used to inform the probing procedure? 1/8" is a pretty noticeable amount so it should be something that is being noticed if itā€™s a general bug and Iā€™ve had a couple other users try probing on their own machines just to check and they also report correct probing. Perhaps you could grab the text from the ā€˜consoleā€™ tab and stick it here and that might show something

Iā€™ve re-read your posts here quite a handful of times and you report probing being off by:

• 1/8" in -X
  • 1/16" in -X
  • 0.254mm in -Y
  • 0.01" in -Y

I think if the issue were in the fundamental gSender code Iā€™d expect to see more consistency in the probing error - perhaps the stock material isnā€™t square or mounted square which is effecting the accuracy of the probing?

Thanks for looking into it Chris
Iā€™ll tinker with 1.1.4 in the next couple of days and see what happens. Will post the code if it is still off.