Raspberry Pi install issue

Hey Chris and anyone reading this.

So, I will start with I am sure most of my issues are USER ERROR, but I am going to walk-through the problems I am having, and maybe I can learn, and we can find bugs along the way :slight_smile:

I have a little bit of experience with Raspberry Pi running an old Marlin setup.

so how hard can it be :slight_smile:

To fully qualify this install:

• raspberry Pi 4 model b (4 or 8 gigs of ram, dont remember)
  • brand new Full install with Desktop (using the Pi Imager)
  • installed on a 64gig and 256gig SDCard.
  • I have logged in and ran a full OS PATCH.
  • the Raspberry is sitting in my office NOT CONNECTED to the longmill.

1 - downloaded and installed GSender from the link provided using Chromium
2 - using filemanager, double clicked on the .deb install file
3 - Said yes to the Installation
4 - entered the Pi user password.
5 - install finished
6- reboot the Raspberry
7 - I open a command prompt and type gsender

in the console, the following error is displayed.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ gsender
Error: Error: /opt/gSender/resources/app/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build/Release/bindings.node: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
at process.func [as dlopen] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)
at Object.Module._extensionsā€¦node (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1196:18)
at Object.func [as .node] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:981:32)
at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:881:14)
at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:779:28)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1023:19)
at require (internal/modules/cjs/helpers.js:77:18)
at bindings (/opt/gSender/resources/app/node_modules/bindings/bindings.js:112:48)
at Object. (/opt/gSender/resources/app/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/lib/linux.js:2:36)
at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1145:30)
at Object.Module._extensionsā€¦js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1166:10)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:981:32)
at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:881:14)
at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:779:28)
at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:1023:19)

looking at the TASKLIST, I can see 7 instance of GSender running

I am going to start with reporting this as is

1 Like

Capture

After 30 minutes of leaving it running I close the application and relaunched it

And the following image came up so Iā€™m going to let it sit for another half hour and see if it actually starts

The error privously displayed is still occuring

This may be a really stupid observation and I donā€™t know raspberry from pineapple but your PI is running a 32bit O/S. Is gsender written for 64bit??

No idea

There is only one available as I understand

just a quick google search, because I was curious too, When you asked the question

People also ask

Is Raspberry OS 32 or 64-bit?

Raspberry Pi OS is available only in a 32-bit version. There is a 64-bit version in development, but itā€™s not stable yet. When the CPU is compatible, a 64-bit operating system improves the program performances.

Iā€™ll say that weā€™ve since written some documentation for gSender RasPi install. @Menglor would you be able to comment on if this new method is one which suits your needs?

I will make an attempt tonight or tomorrow to wander through the install

1 Like

I mean no disrespect by this comment, but ya, that is not an install guide :slight_smile:

I am not the product owner, I donā€™t know your target audience.

I believe, once gSender gets more popular, people are going to find out they can run it from a Pi, and its going to cost them 50$ and they dont need a 500$ PC. or the USB device wont go to sleep, or it runs fan less

It might only be 10% of the user base who tries it, BUT, I bet that less then 1% will be successful, and end up calling, or chatting on Facebook to get help.

So I believe, it should be as well documented as the windows or MAC version.

You might also include a reference to : https://www.raspberrypi.org/

1 - there is no installer its just a binaries drop into a folderā€¦ I would hope that you tell people this.

2 - The OS by default throws this file into the downloads folder, I think that it should be better explained.

just my opinion.

1 Like

@Menglor I donā€™t argue that, if Pi can be used, the user documentation needs to be accurate and complete.

However, to be fair, no one needs a ā€œ$500 PCā€ to run gsender. I run gsender on a windows pc that cost considerably less than that, and not much more than the $50 you quote for a Pi. My USB devices do not go to sleep, as I have them set not to. I do not run fanless, but could, if I had a mind to. Iā€™m not arguing against your points, but I do believe that some context is appropriate.

Thatā€™s fair to say Stephen. One thing Iā€™ll say is that for the time being most people using the LongMill are using a PC they have on hand because thatā€™s whatā€™s most comfortable for them. For now I made the guide enough to provide the necessary info for those that are already familiar with setting up a Pi - it will come in the future a guide thatā€™s more catered towards someone whoā€™s completely new to it all

Up 'till now weā€™re continuing to push hard on gSender development in all areas. If you have any other guidance or suggestions then Iā€™d be happy to hear it. I think as of now the gSender user base roughly split as: 600 on windows, 50 on mac, 30 on Pi, and 25 on Linux

+1 for someone who will be using the Pi. My main machine is a Mac and I donā€™t want to tie it up while using the LongMill. I have several Piā€™s for various purposes and one is set aside for the LongMill. I donā€™t have any Windows machines in the house.
Having said that, I believe the emphasis should be aimed at completing the features desired on whatever machines the developers are using for development. Porting to other machines is certainly desirable and Since is doing a fantastic job of this.

2 Likes

I think we are in the same boat. I have Mac in the house and seeings how I am not a Kardashian, I cant afford to have it in the sawdusty shop. I have a Pi on order and will be using the Mac to download files and uploading into the Pi. Have you already setup your LM with the Pi? any tricks or issues you solved? I would appreciate.

Unfortunately, I havenā€™t even assembled my LongMill but to time pressures for work and other things in my life right now.

Michael