Stable or Edge? Tool Change questions too!

So I’ve been using the advanced Vcarve tool in Carbide Create V6. It produces exactly what I’m looking for for an output a lot of the time. My problem is, I used to run each tool as a separate Gcode, redoing my Z0 no issue. Unfortunately, the advanced vcarve is 1 tool path, but uses 2 tools. I normally use a 1/8th bit for clearing the flat portion, and a 60V for the tight spots. So this now presents an issue.

When the machine pauses using Gsender, I can no longer jog the machine, and the router keeps spinning. The router is easy, just click it off, though I’d rather turn it off through Gcode as that’s a better route (and the noise signals to me to go check machine if I’m not watching it close). But when this pause occurs, the unit is too close to the stock to physically remove the bit and carry on. I have recently installed homing switches, and have a standard touch plate for setting Z0. So I think I have enough hardware installed that I should be able to get this working, or is it a bug?

I’ve done advanced Vcarve a few times now, but each time to make it work, I’ve had to write the job line down, and tell the machine to stop the job, then resume after I change the bit, from that line number. Sometimes, I’ve even had to disconnect the machine, because the jog buttons stay locked out. Not sure if this is a bug?

My question is, is there simple code I can add to that “code” section when pauses occur? Do I need to make a macro? Do I just need to install edge to fix these issues? I tried making a macro, but my gcode skills are weak, and it didn’t do anything (I think I just put in g0 z10, expecting it to go up 10mm, but nothing happens).

I’ve seen many topics on similar issues, but most seem out of date, so thought I’d ask. Also, RE: edge, is it stable enough that most are using this instead of the stable release? Thanks in advance!

I use GcodeSplit - Split gcode files by toolpath

It produces a file per tool.

@Andrew I don’t use CC, so I can only offer up what I just watched on Youtube. Winston Malloy of CC, clearly says in his video that the advanced vcarve tool path was created exclusively for Shapeoko CNC using their BitSetter.

I am assuming since your post is about stopping the machine to change bits that you don’t have that hardware. Is that right?

If so, there are Youtube videos that show you how to use the advance vcarve tool path without bitsetter. In short, you do what @mhforbes set out and split the gcode file into two. You can do that manually or use the tool that he suggests.

Finally, you can search on here for the gSender-compatible macros created by @NeilFerreri . I have not used them, but all the “reviews” are positive.

1 Like

Thanks guys! The tool splitter will likely do a good job, and save me some hassles in the future too where I had to have multiple advanced Vcarve paths too. (Sometimes the software doesn’t do I want, and the only way is it to just break it up into smaller sections, meaning I had to set up 3 or 4 tool changes!) Breaking it apart by tool, I can hopefully stack all the 1/8’s first, then the 60v after for all paths, should help immensely.

Gwilki, I had seen some stuff from @NeilFerreri in various posts. But most of what I ran across seemed quite old, 2021 etc or untested with standard touch plate and probe, over a bitsetter. And, yes, I have a home built machine, not a Shapeoko. I just really like their CC software. Hoping to graduate to Fusion at some point too. Ran one so far from Fusion.

What’s your take on Edge? Does everyone here seem to use that? I feel like it might be the way to go on my raspberry pi

@Andrew I believe that I saw a post or two from Neil about using his macros with the Sienci standard touch plate. I could be mistaken, though. As far as the date on the macros, I would not concern myself with that. From my experience with Neil, if he says that they work with gSender, I would bet that they do.

In terms of gS vs Edge, I don’t use a pi, so I’m no help there. I have played with all the versions of Edge to date and there is no argument that it has improved a great deal since the first version. I like many of the features that it has that gS does not. All that said, I continue to use gS for most of my work since, more often than not, I use the feature to change the feed rate while running my files. That feature in Edge is buggy, IMHO. I reported that here and I know that the Sienci gS team is working on it. I have no doubt that it will be fixed with the next release.

Edit: I should also have mentioned that Edge has support for tool changing without using Neil’s macros. (You may already know this, though. I must admit that I had forgotten until just now.)

1 Like

Use Notepad++ to edit the file and search for M0. When you find the M0 with the second tool beside it eg.M0 ; T302, change the M0 to M6 so that line now reads
M6 ; T302 and save file.
When GSender reaches that line of gcode, it with stop with RESUME STOP in the bottom left hand of the screen. If you control your spindle with gcode it will still be running so turn off.
You can now lift the Z axis, replace the tool, re zero the tool then turn the spindle on and select RESUME.

In addition, in gSender, go to Settings (star wheel top right hand corner) , select “Tool Change” and select “Manual”

@gwilki Thanks for the update/edit. I’ll probably try to install edge and see how that works. I had a feeling it would solve some issues, and is probably the more “main” program to be receiving work by the devs at this point.

@Lappa Thanks for this. Until I’m able to install Edge, I’ll do what you suggest and see if that works. You mention using gcode to control the spindle. Does this suggest I won’t be able to use the jog buttons?

Also, a more general Macro question. I saw and started learning about G90 absolute and G91 relative positioning. It looks like CC uses all code in G90. So if I were to create a macro, rather than going Z(+)10mm to move it up, I’d probably just have to put in Z3 (my safe away from switch is 3mm). Does that make sense?

And more general still, do most programs use G90 when they create Gcode? And when we’re talking G90 Absolute, is that referencing the BIG numbers that I zero out when I start the job? Or the small numbers it thinks are the limits of the machine? I feel like it should be referencing the BIG numbers that I zero for the code to make sense. Just trying to learn and understand how it thinks! Thanks all

When you create a routine in CC, it’s in gcode - that’s what gSender uses to control your CNC. When you do a tool change in the middle of a program, the only axis you want to move/jog is the Z axis so you can change the tool and zero the tool. If you do what I suggested then you can do that - all axis are free and you can run the tool probe routine.
In fact, you have full jog control back BUT do not move any other axis other than the Z axis when doing a tool change otherwise the position is lost.