Tilling a big project

Hello everyone. I just finished building my 30 x 12 Longmill. I bought this size because of limited space.I have heard of a method called tilling to make bigger projects than your workable space. Can anyone tell me how??? Is it done at the vector level, CAM level or later. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Hi @Panamapete. Usually tiling is a function of the software you are using. If you select tiling it will mark your project into multiple sections for carving and generate separate toolpaths. What software do you use? I run VCarve Pro which is a combination CAD/CAM.

1 Like

Hi Heyward, thanks for the reply. Im still playing with different software. Tried Carbide Create (free) and Inkscape. Im pretty sure that these free versions are very limited and cannot do what I want. I am leaning towards VCarve, not sure which version , Desktop or Pro.

@Panamapete - Pierre, I use VCarve Pro currently. I started with Desktop but the 25x25 size limit was a problem for me. If that doesn’t bother you go with Desktop. You can always upgrade later for the difference in price between the two.

Yeah, from what I see in the comparisons, the main difference between Pro and Desktop is the limited sizing, an issue which is not important to me since I bought the 12x30 Longmill. I am primarily interested in doing signage so Desktop will suffice. And like you said, if I ever find I need the extra “PRO” features I’ll simply upgrade.
thanks for the chat…

1 Like