Y-axis grinds and only moves millimeters

New assembly.
I can get the z and x axis to move freely but when I try to jog the y’s it just grinds. I loosened up all the eccentric nuts just to get it to move but nothing happens. It will move a centimeter or so and grind badly. What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

Fishon, it sounds like your out of square. if the backlah nuts and wheels are not over tight and you can turn the leadscrews by hand, I would visually check the x rail is square with the y rails. I would loosen the backlash mounting where they mount to the plate. If still an issue I would be inclined to unmount one y rail from the bench and see if it will cycle back and forward. Electrically you could loosen the shaft to leadscrew couplings and see if the motors turn free. Another possability is one y motor is turning faster than the other, you coul open the longboard and check driver dip switch settings are the same. I think the settings are listed in the resource pages. Good luck

1 Like

@Fishon What Software are you using? If g sender what jogging speed is selected? Make sure you try normal or rapid in the jog control section. Are your dip switches correctly set, they may appear correct but you need to move them on off to ensure they are making contact, while inside the controller make sure the Adruino is properly seated. Loosen the anti-backlash nuts, check the couplers, if all that is ok and it still doesn’t work remove the screws on the right side rail and see if it will jog correctly, if it does your machine is way out of square.