Installing and using limit switches

Switches set the machine coordinates for XYZ zero.

Yup, the work coordinates are saved between power ups.

I am a fan of my proximity sensors on my LongMill mk1. So just to clarify itā€™s the combination of the fact that homing can reliably set the machine XYZ zero and that the work XYZ zero is saved that allows you to accurately return to the correct position without having to re-probe.

I can set a zero any where power off. power on and home. Zero doesnā€™t change. coordinates would be negative numbers after homing.

You can manually hit zero X and Zero Y or Zero XY, but the homing sequence has never set my XY, except the very first power up ever.

At least this is how it has worked in my setup. XY never automatic zeroā€™d after homing.

Iā€™m not disagreeing with the fact that limit switches reliably allow you to get back the correct work coordinates.

I think you may be missing my point that the machine uses two coordinate systems, work and machine/absolute coordinates.

This screenshot is right after homing and you can see that the machine coordinates are set to zero. And as you said the XY work coordinates are negative and the work coordinates are not automatically zeroed but the machine coordinates are.

This is my understanding of the two coordinate systems in play. I think my understanding is correct but maybe itā€™s not? Anyway we both agree that limit switches or proximity sensors allow you to continue after something goes awry.

Iā€™m hoping that I donā€™t come across as argumentative as that is not my intention at all.

Regards,
Michael

you are correct in your thinking. We are on same page just different terms

I did not notice the use of machine coordinates
I just donā€™t consider ā€œmachine coordinatesā€ as zeroing. I personally consider it as the machine finding its location, creating an absolute. Maybe because of 3d printing and marlin vs grbl, my terms could be off. Just they way Iā€™m thinking.

You fine, just a discussion, and difference in terms.

Thanks and have a good Monday Shipwreck.