New control box in progress

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a032d38229a5e4fdfc29ad2/w/3fdd62166f15b2bca45b86dd/e/76713fef2f3d04737acac6ce

Still in progress. Printing my first try now, but my printer is giving me fits.

2 Likes

We’ll, as usual nothing is ever easy. Looks like I’ve got my first major 3d printer problem, so I get to learn how to deal with this today.

1 Like

Best of luck @David! Looks like some extrusion issues

Okay, it’s finally done. Ran out of grey filament, but we got the job done. Turned out to be a bit of a pain to wire up with some stiff, old wire I’ve had stashed for a while.

I mostly did this because my vacuum system is enclosed in the base, so I wanted a convenient switch for it. And of course raspberry pis don’t have a power switch, so that and the e-stop are nice too.

As promised, links to the switches:

The files for the box are share in OnShape. I’m considering putting the stls on Thingiverse, but right now I can’t be arsed.

1 Like

Awesome work but please tell me you didn’t put your machine and table in front of your electrical box? That is not good if that is the case.

Don’t fear for my electrical box, Greg. It’s easily accessible the way it is, but the whole bench is on casters so it moves out the way.

1 Like

Ok good to know Nice you can move it around.

@David I’m curious - for all the 120V AC wiring, did you use Romex and conduit under the table? or at least contain the wires in conduit?

If you hadn’t, might be a good idea.

Mike,

I ran 12 gauge THHN stranded wire though the torsion box table. It’s not in a conduit, but it is completely enclosed in the wood box and I used bushings where it goes through holes, and everywhere it touches a wood edge, the edge is rounded over and smoothed.

I know THHN is not allowed for exposed work, but I thought it would be OK in a wood raceway. Is that not correct? Please forgive my ignorance. Clearly, I have just enough electrical knowledge to get myself in trouble. :frowning:

1 Like

David
I doubt that is to code even if the risk is very low. The risk is that any arcing could set the plywood on fire. Maybe you can insert some PVC conduit through the torsion box.

I think you technically are supposed to run that in conduit, but I would not worry too much - the conduit
is to protect the wires from damage, if the torsion box they are in is sealed uff and they are safe, you will likely have no problems.

if the wires are subject to wear, or rodents, etc then you might want to install them through conduit.

I am not an electrical engineer so if you are worried about it, consult the NEC book or an electrician :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did not mean to reply to CRD alone. I meant this to be a general reply sorry

PVC in that situation is to code either screws will go right through it. Metal conduit is the only way to do it if you can. However if it is inside a full opening in a torsion box then there is no fear of hitting the wire with a screw then Who cares. The cable is in its own jacket and its mechanically protected its safe.

Not to worry Greg. Were all just trying to help each other. I’m no code expert, that’s for sure. The electrical code if very strict, to the point of appearing absurd. But it’s the result of lots of crazy %$#* happening over the years. If he does nothing the risk is very low indeed. PVC conduit provides further protection by containing the arc flash in the event of a short circuit and limits the amount of oxygen available. Metal conduit does the same thing with improved mechanical protection. The last option I can think of is armored cable. He could use the existing wire to fish it through the torsion box.
All these options seem like overkill but if the machine is going to be left unattended while running I would choose one option and implement it.
Your mileage may vary.

Link to the files on any platform?

The first post has the link to the onshape file. If that doesn’t work, or if you’d like it in another format, let me know.

If only I were literate…

Thanks!

Can I request a few modifications and a posting to thingiverse? Onshape and I aren’t cooperating so well right now.

The modifications would be to replace the face panel with a blank solid panel so I can drill the round holes I need for my switches, and use my label maker or CNC to label as I need. I don’t have a Pi, so I don’t need a Pi switch.

Sure, I can do that. If you want to give me the dimensions for the holes you need and what labels you want, I could probably do that too. It might be late-ish tonight or possibly tomorrow.

The main power switch hole should be the same as yours. The other switches need 19mm round holes and should say lights, vac, spindle. Big picture, someday, I’ll have another rocker in there to open and close the enclosure, but I’ve got a lot to learn before that point. Maybe by then I can design my own box top…

Had some extra time. See if this works

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4077356

2 Likes