This is the latest job

@doublednpr How much RAM do you have left when you have gSender running and loaded with your gcode file? Windows 10 uses a bunch of RAM. Hold down ctrl and alt at the same time and hit the delete key on your keyboard, click on task manager, click on more details, click on the performance tab and look at the number in parentheses to see if there is any left. My laptop that runs gSender has 16gb of ram and uses 22% of it without gSender loaded, 26% with gSender loaded and 28% with a 3D roughing and finish pass gcode file loaded. Make sure you have enough RAM. Also make sure all of the power saving stuff is turned off in Windows.

I have a total of 8GB of Ram, Gs startup with 3D roughing tool path is about 23-24% usage. When running it averages28%. I use 6-8% COU usage. All sleep parameters are off.

Does that give yo any ideas?

Thanks for any idea you may have.

Dan

1 Like

@doublednpr That seems to rule out Win 10. Maybe try turning off soft and hard limits in gSender on the firmware tab. Remove the bit and set Z0 to a safe height and run the file that stops on you without the router turned on. If it does stop, there may be an error code in the console tab on the bottom right. Iā€™ve been running gSender with those off since day one. Had issues after installing the induction sensors with those on so turned them back off again.

I have to agree with you on most counts!!! Iā€™m 67 and got my MK2 30x30 three months ago and it hasnā€™t been able to carve ANYTHING of any substance yet. Problem after problem arises every time I try to run it. Of course they wonā€™t take it back, and Iā€™ve begged to just get a new machine but nothingā€¦my recourse is I tell everyone who mentions theyā€™re thinking of a CNC is DO NOT GET A LONGMILL!!! Iā€™ve talked 4 people out of one so far. The old rule of 10ā€™s works.

@doublednpr @sp5937 Iā€™m older than both of you and Iā€™m trying to understand why our ages have anything at all to do with running a Long Mill. Since I have not had mine for very long, should I give up on trying to learn the software and hardware stuff since I am simply too old for all this?

Henry Ford said, ā€œWhether you think you can, or you think you canā€™tā€“youā€™re right.ā€

I donā€™t believe that age has anything to do with success or failure personally. My 82 year old father in law got himself a new IPhone recently and after a couple of hiccups hit the ground running.

Personally, I never knew what a CNC machine was before a year ago or so. I purchased mine the end of January 2022 and received it in May. Now I am no expert in it, and in fact I am barely crawling with using it, but I continually attempt new things that I have never done before. Are all my projects successful? Oh heck no. But I try and learn from my mistakes and move forward.

Now donā€™t get me wrong, there is a rather large learning curve here. I opted for VCARVE Pro and a dedicated laptop to run it on. My gsender laptop is an old MacBook Pro from 2011. I use a thumb drive to move files over. Is it quirky? Oh my yes! I sometimes have to restart it in order to have gsender locate the LongMill. Is it broke cause it needs to be restarted? No.

I opted to buy my LongMill so I could learn the art of cnc without spending 15,000 dollars. If I can make back my initial investment on my LongMill, I can evaluate if I want to drop the kind of money needed for a true ā€œprofessional gradeā€ machine. Is Sienci perfect? Noā€¦ā€¦ but in the price range it appears to be the most solid choice.

To be perfectly honest, this forum is why I bought my LongMill. Lord knows, members have pulled me back from the edge of the cliff on multiple occasions. You just donā€™t find that type of support or friendship for that matter anywhere. I attribute my successes thus far to their willingness to help a guy out when things arenā€™t going the way you want them to.

If I can be of any service to any of the forum members in this topic, please let me know.

Respectfully,
Jake

1 Like

The original post in this thread was to showcase the incredible clock that @doublednpr created.

Following some well-deserved compliments on that project, the conversation has ventured far off that topic.

I have been accused of censoring members when I close topics in which there are comments that are critical of the Long Mill, gSender or Sienci. Clearly, I do not believe that to be the case, but just as clearly, I am biased in my favour. So, to try to prevent any such accusations here, I would respectfully ask that if the discussion on the pros and cons or problems with the Long Mill is to be continued, anyone who wants to be a part of that discussion open a new topic with a subject line that is more on that topic than this one is.

When the new topic is opened, I will move the relevant comments from this topic to that one and leave this topic open for comments/discussions about @doublednpr clock.

thank you

I have a comment about the clock, itā€™s amazing!
@doublednpr I for one hope that you gets things working to your sastisfaction because Iā€™d sure love to see some more of your work. The clock really is beautiful!