Adjustable tram screws

The other day, I had to adjust my tram before I could start a project. While doing this, I had an epiphany?

I’m curious why I’ve never heard anyone talk about adjusting tram without needing to add shims or running through the constant raising and lowering the spindle in order to reach, loosen, adjust then tighten the spindle mount screws?

Am I the only one thinking about this?

Let me know your thoughts on this :pray::+1:t2:

1 Like

I guess that by not having heard about this issue before, it may be an indication that not many are fussy enough about the precision of their mill, or they’re not having to adjust it.

There’s plenty of YouTube vidoes describing how to go about measuring the accuracy, then correcting it. I don’t think it’d be a very challenging task, but as you said, it’s going to need fussing around shimming, adjusting shims, moving them around, etc. I don’t believe that any other company provides for adjustable tran screws, so perhaps that should also tell you that you’re better off to adjust the tram using shims.

Marty from Kingston, ON, Canada

1 Like

I certainly agree. In the absence of a better system, I can see why it might not be worth the trouble to design a better one for a relatively small return, however if there was a simpler way that would cut the adjustment time in half, would it be something the CNC community might be interested in?
There was a day when people did what we do by hand. It’s only after countless hours of work and thought along with uncounted expenses in education that we as common folk can have an incredible machine like we do now in the comfort of our homes to create and continue to improve our operations. Never the less your point is very valid for sure.

:pray: Thank you