Alternative controller?

Hi - I have a Longmill mk2 and consistently have problems with gsender. All of the 1.4.x releases have had showstopper issues for me (OSX) and performance with complex paths on earlier versions makes jogging impossible unless I unload the models. Many of these issues have been reported here (and I have logged bugs on GitHub). So I am considering alternative approaches.

Does anyone use a different software package or a different controller like a Masso G3 or Acorn? This seems relevant as well for AltMill in the future, which seems to be leveraging gsender.

I’ve stayed with gSender V1.2.2 and have no problems at all now. No way will I change up versions. I run a PC so maybe things are a little different.
I have been looking at a grblHAL board but reading some of the problems with the SLB controller on this forum, I’m not sure if its the controller or the grblHAL software or the gSender version for grblHAL or a combination of some or all of the above.
Probably leave all well alone as the system is working fine.
Personally I really like gSender; its interface and options suit me and the fact I can interface it with an Xbox controller is the icing on the cake.
The Acorn is too expensive for me as a viable option -about $AU660, as is the Masso G3 at $AU2120