Altmill Dust Collection

I recently ordered an Altmill and even though I have a few months before it arrives, I have some work to do to make room for it in my garage. Would some of you that received Altmill’s on the first production run share their dust collection strategy?

I am a hobby user, with both space and budget constraints.

My initial thoughts are shop vac with a cyclone. My justification is space, cost, portability and I can filter down to 1 micron with a Hepa filter. I see the Altmill comes with a 4" dust boot, instead of what seems to be more typical of hobby/prosumer machines of 2 - 2.5", so I’m a little concerned.

Thank you for any input.

Hello @jagfan Doug! Welcome to the forum. Good folks, excellent advice. Funny, I was just the opposite of you when I got my LongMill. I had 4” but the dust boot came 2”. I ended up using a rubber boot to make 2 1/2” fit my 2” boot. Where I am going is you should be able to get a 4” to 2 1/2” reducer. Something else to consider, the shop vac may not be up to a long carve. Meaning it may get warm? Never tried it. I was even a bit concerned with my dust collector going from a 4” to 2 1/2”. I too use a cyclone. Seems to work remarkably well.

Lots of info to digest here on your new altmill. Once again, welcome!

1 Like