Aluminum Lions Branding Iron

Since it was simple 2.5D I used easel with an 1/8th and 1/16th endmills. I didnt have any special bits so I just went slow.

4 Likes

@marzvt Welcome, Mark. I don’t quite understand what I’m looking at. Did you carve the graphic on the iron in aluminum?

I started with a solid block of aluminum. Then I milled it with a 1/8 and 1/16 bit with Easel I tried to generated the cam in Fusion 360 first but I kept getting weird artifacts that I think were coming from the .svg I was using so I just went basic. After I milled it. I drilled and tapped a whole o match the rod that I has that I threaded. The handle started off as a piece of walnut cutting board stock they I had left over from my counter tops. I drilled it with my drill press then cut and threaded another short rod so I could use my drill press as a lathe to make it a cylinder. I had problem with the head loosening up when it was heated so I added a nut to lock it in place.

3 Likes

@marzvt Very nice, Mark. Tks for the explanation.

I was really impressed at how well the Longmill did with aluminum. The 1/8 mill U used was the standard two flute on that comes the machine and that worked ok but when I got bits designed for cutting aluminum, I find its very capable.

1 Like

Nice, that’s exactly what I’ve been wanting to make, different logo of course lol.
Awesome job, I like it ! I’ll take note of the locking nut .

Yeah it was a Christmas present for my daughters boyfriend. He was happy to brand the burgers of all his friends that like other teams. I got the idea when my wife couldn’t buy one.

1 Like

Awesome, I was curious if I would be able to do something like this.