August 18 - August 25, 2023 "A Project That is a Sign" Contest

So many beautiful tribute projects! Thanks to everyone who entered this week’s contest, where we asked you all to post your lovely tribute projects made on the LongMill.

We are happy to announce that Dallas Forbes, @Plagmar, Créations Namily, @Parkey, Peter Labonte, and Rick Gauthier are the winners of the "A Project That is a Tribute” contest! A prize is on its way!

This week’s theme is “projects that are signs”. Post your most creative sign projects that were made using your LongMill and share them with us for a chance to be one of the winners of this week’s contest and win free prizes!

Visit our blog for more information on our Weekly Themed Contest:

Weekly Themed Contest Rules and Guidelines:

Have ideas for themes? Let us know by commenting down below!

Happy building!

1 Like

I have an idea? What about a display that was made on the Longmill Like this?

1 Like

This is my first entry. I got the Longmill in April and is my first CNC. I love it and can’t stop thinking of new challenges.

I made this for my brother for his birthday. He has 2 bull dogs so this sign was perfect for his back yard entrance.

It was made from pine with walnut inlayed letters. This was my second attempt at inlay and it went well. One trick I learned was to use a 1/4" dremel sanding drum in my drill press to sand the edges of the letters. I set it just short of with the bottom. This way i could flip the letters upside down and any bit flex off without effecting top of the letters. Made it easier to fit the letters tightly with very little gap.

The 3d molded dog is also my second attemp at a 3d molding. I’m excited to say its not an STL. I took a 3d image of the bulldog. Modified the back end to assume the position so to say the used Aspire 3d molding and built each part up. Starting at the eyes and ending with the body.
The body is a soft wood so the stain would accent the detail. Used 1/16 dia tapered ball nose with 8% stepover. Took about 2 hours total to render the molding.

Finally i finished it with a satin spar urethane for outdoor protection. Brought the color out nicely.

My brother was so excited and proud to show off what his brother made.

2 Likes

I have to upload imaged one at a time

3 Likes

Made a sign because the courier could never find my house number to drop off my Sienci orders….

1 Like