Auto dust collection switch for 220v spindle

Apologies if this Q has been asked and answered, I could not find the answer. Is there an off-the-shelf switch that enables you to auto start/stop a 110v dust collector when a 220v CNC spindle starts/stops?
I see lots of switches that work for 110v tools. and vacs/collectors.

TIA.

Ed R.

I wonder if a current sensing switch would work here. Not sure but just a thought.

1 Like

If you using a SLB there are some auxiliary outputs you can use to control an IOT relay.

Lenp

@EdR The current sensing switch that @Karver_One referenced would work but you need to isolate a conductor from the spindle wiring. You can’t simply pass all 3 wires through the sensor. You would also need other components to build out a complete solution.

You could use the auxiliary outputs on the SLB and handle the gcode in your post processing commands in your software so you don’t have to add them for each project. You would still need additional components at both the machine and the dust collector.

To build a wireless system you would have to add ESP32 boards at both “ends” of the system to tx and rx the signal between the 2 ESP boards. It is doable and not complicated if you understand programming the ESP and isolation of power signals with optocouplers for reading clean signals. If you want more information on that, let me know and I could walk you through it.

For an off the shelf solution you could consider iVac products that include tool sensors and switches for the dust collector. The tool sensors use a clamp that mounts around the cord eliminating the need to isolate conductors and you can add up to 8 tools to the system. They also offer wireless blast gates that work in conjunction with the tool sensor. The blast gates do not count against the 8 tool budget. They offer 2 versions of the tool sensor with the iVAC Pro Tool Advantage being able to accept an external trigger which could be wired to the SLB auxiliary connections for gCode use. It’s not cheap but it doesn’t require any building or programming like the ESP32 idea. I attached a link if you are interested. I am not affiliated with iVac, Amazon or anyone else for that matter. :grimacing:

Good luck

https://www.amazon.com/s?srs=9346836011&rh=p_89%3AiVAC

Thank you all for the v. helpful responses. Because i am looking for a turn key, off the shelf solution (a bit more expensive approach than the IOT/SLB solutions) I went with the two component IVAC solution - with a cable wrapping current sensor unit connected to an auto on/off switch (they offer both 110v and 220v versions), as Brian suggested above. Thank you all for the help.

Ed R.

2 Likes

I wired the switch 1 relay on the slb to ivac tool sensor. Just pull the cover of the i vac switch and soldered onto the leads on the toggle button. works flawlessly. Just inserted m64p0 in the automation for job start and m65p0 for file end. the only hiccup is if you estop or cancel the program you have to manual enter the m65p0 in the console or create a simple macro to turn it off. ivac switch still works as normal and have it mounted to the front of my altmill if I need to manually turn it on to clean up after carving. did have the tool sensor mounted to my spindle cable at first but it would turn on and off the dust collection quite a bit since I am running a rapid change atc.

Thanks Derek - that’s an interesting solution. So far the ATC tool changes have not been an issue for us, but I can imagine jobs where your solution would be superior.