AutoZero Touch Plate macros now available for alternative gcode senders

I’m excited to share that new macros for the AutoZero Touch Plate can now be found in our resources! This means that users who wish to use the Autozero Touch Plate with gcode senders that are not gSender can now do so with senders such as UGS, CNCjs, and Buildbotics/Linux CNC controllers.

We hope that users outside of the LongMill ecosystem will be able to use our unique touch plate for their CNCing.

For folks not familiar, the AutoZero Touch Plate is a revolutionary CNC touch plate design that allows for homing of both straight and irregularly shaped bits (v-bits, ball nose, and tapered) in the X, Y, and Z directions automatically using a unique chamfered-edge design.

Unlike most conventional touch plates, AutoZero also automatically measures and calculates the size and position of the bit that you’re using, allowing users to skip the process of measuring and inputting their tooling sizes into the software. Plus, with our gSender control software, users can use pre-built settings to have a seamless experience homing bits on their CNC machines.

This seems like a great addition to my Shapeoko 3 XXL, but I have a question that came to mind while watching the video.

While zeroing with a V-bit, it makes it obvious that there are some V-bit maximum dimensions (perhaps minimum, too) that can’t be exceeded.

Are those limits documented somewhere?

Just like most corner-grabbing zero blocks, this one has to be held in place to work correctly. The best thing I did for my current block was change the wire to a super flexible (silicon) wire.

There aren’t any minimums, but yes there is a maximum. If my math is correct, I believe you should be able to use a v-bit with a diameter up to 1.5 inches. For context, a standard 90-degree v router bit is around 0.6", and so a 1.5" wide bit would be somewhat of an impractical size and weight, so I don’t think there are many situations where a v-bit will be larger than what the autozero can handle.

2 Likes

Has anyone been able to use the auto touch plate on a Shapeoko XXL Pro ? I am using Sender. The Carbide touch plate has wires connected tp the control board. The auto touch plate only provides 2 wires. The Auto touch plate has a black and a red. Shapeoko has a third wire Black, Red and White. Wondering if I salvage the 3 wire connector from my SPro and connect to the red and black. Will I fry anything if that is incorrect. Had my auto touch plate since they came out. Want to start using it. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance,