Be careful out there

This is an old video, but I just found it today. Scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2xoxPlDnW4&feature=emb_logo

1 Like

WOW! Doesn’t take long does it. That’s why I pause mine if I leave the area. Thanks Grant. That might save someones behind and shop/garage/house.

1 Like

@Heyward43 Yeah, that is some scary stuff. I admit to leaving mine running on long jobs, while doing stuff upstairs. This could cure me of that. I know some guys using baby monitors so that they can watch and listen while being elsewhere in the house.

I tend to worry more about the laser somehow stalling while burning full out. Obviously, the router should be a concern, too.

1 Like

I have a WiFi camera that I use occasionally. I leave the basement door open so I can hear any strange noise and watch the view from the camera on my iPad. Generally I stay down there with the machine, though, but sometimes I get hungry.

1 Like

If you cant see the machine while its running guys you should not be running it. Sorry but that is a serious mistake. 30 seconds is all it takes and it could mean you house or shop burns down.

2 Likes

@paullarson I use a 5G camera too for food-bathroom-dogs-dipshits at the door reasons and always secure the work piece. Also have a remote wireless power cutoff. I Never walk away for more than a few minutes.

2 Likes

Wow! Completely new here but taking it all in and learning while waiting for my MK2 48x30. Just wondering… is there anyway to add a custom switch to the project board? If it moves over .125" or so, the system will stop (router also). Not saying I’m planning to leave my system unattended but the switch would work faster than me running to hitting the e-stop button and maybe saving the project or an end mill bit. Maybe a custom relay to the router and LongMill? Then again, this would be another thing that can move and unswitch itself. Maybe I’ll just plan on keeping an eye on things;) Thanks for sharing Grant!

A little on the subject… long time ago, I was using my drill press drilling a long hardwood piece for turning a pen. Also had my dust collector on. (Shops in the basement, dust collector is in the garage) Next thing I know, I’m smelling smoke. Stopped everything and checked the garage on the cyclone dust collector. Thank God that was fine. Went back down to the basement and was still smelling smoke. Unplugged my 4" dust trap/cleanout (I put this on the bottom of the 4" line before it goes up into the garage) and found this (see photo)
Question, anyone else have their dust collector in another place to cut down noise and dust. If so, how are you, or are you, monitoring the system when the CNC is running? This blog is making me think more and more about this layout. Thanks again Grant for the safety reminder!

@macNmurz You’re welcome, Mike. I am confused by your switch idea. You mention that if something moved more than .125", the machine would stop. Do you mean if the material moved on the bed? The more that I read your post, the more that I think that is what you are talking about. Interesting idea. I have no clue how to set it up, but I suppose if you wanted to Rube Goldberg something you could have a pressure switch clamped to the spoilboard and held closed by the material you are cutting. That switch could be wired to a relay. If the router was attached to the relay, any movement that opened the switch would trip the relay and turn off the router. Now, all you need to do is figure out how to send a stop commend to gSender at the same time, or just before you kill the router.

I’m sure that there are some engineers here who figured this out in less time than it took me to type it. :grinning:

@gwilki Thats the idea. I’m sure it wouldn’t be very hard to rig up. I’ve built some remote relay systems for the shop and had fun making them. Sounds like something for Sienci to add to the product list to sell🙃

@macNmurz Setting up the relay to turn off the router should not be too difficult. My original thought that you would need a way to send a stop code to gSender was likely not the best approach. You could simply have the Long Mill controller on the same relay and kill the power to it. That would kill the power to the motor drivers. Sort of like hitting the red button.

1 Like