Carbide Create v7 : no more g-code

Just a heads up for anyone using Carbide Create (free version). They have removed the ability to generate g-code from the latest version.

I just started carving in July and I had downloaded version 6 of Carbide Create (build 626) on 31-JUL-2022. But today I saw that they had V7 out so I figured I’d update.

Luckily it installs it in a separate folder (on Windows). So I uninstalled v7 and am back using v6 which I assume as long as I have it installed will generate g-code.

Additional: They offer a way to extract the g-code (which is now saved with the .C2D file in v7 and that would be using this new tool at: Extract GCode from Carbide Create V7)

There has been a very active discussion on the Carbide 3D Community about this. Carbide Create V7 Beta - Carbide Create - Carbide 3D Community Site

Version 7 has a number of improvements, but in order to get the g-code out you need an account with them or the Pro version (which I use). The last Version 6 is available at Carbide 3D , and requires no access to the web or cloud services. Should work as-is forever. You can install and keep both versions on your computer.

I’ve been using the product for the last year, and it meets all of my needs. I was caught off guard by this change, but had intended to go to the Pro version in any case.

1 Like

Agree. I am going to run both versions side-by-side as I evaluate and get more familiar with all of this.

Yeah was caught off gaurd on this as well. Besides text changing in real time was not excited by the latest features in v7. A week after the inittial v7 beta roll out they rolled out the ability to import stl’s which is nice. I already had a pro license and really the only benifit was the engrave feature. Now i guess its being able to export gcode as well.

2 Likes

After shopping around, downloading, installing and tinkering with other solutions (for Mac OS) I went with the year subscription for Carbide Create Pro 7.

Starting out, it’s worth it to me for a ~10/month for access to a “simpler” g-code export. Though this was a decision for me, which my spouse and I discussed and could justify. I realize, and empathize, that some folks don’t have $120 to put in up-front, or for what might amount to a hobby.

However, for me it was a balance of looking at other applications and the complexity/learning curve. As well as the cost/time of Application development and I can understand why Carbide 3D made a financial and/or business decision to put one of the most widely used & needed features on the market behind a pay-wall.

As a woodworker making things on the side, for fun, and not-yet for-profit. I don’t have the capacity to research, and make a g-Code app myself, nor, learn to run some of the more robust tools, yet. So I felt supporting the continued development of Carbide Create was a worthwhile “investment” of the roughly $10/mo.

I know it’s a difficult decision for all, and hope this analysis is helpful.

3 Likes

I’ve been using the carbide create v7 and extracting g-code on their web page.
Well they threw another curve: as of June 30 you can’t use the web page anymore. You have to either own their machine or buy Carbide Create Pro to extract g-code.
Time to figure out what to use next and learn new software.

Hi all,
I ordered my Longmill, have it assembled, new table built, and now just have to build my track/clamp system. In parallel, I had been watching all of the software videos and was settled on using Carbide Create Free version. I have a laser and am fairly familiar with Lightburn, so I though Carbide would work best and it is an offline option. However, reading this, what are any of you choosing as an alternate to Carbide Create Free? I’m not completely opposed to paying $10/month if it helps the development, but I’m a hobbyist right now and would like to get my feet wet with CNC before I dive in deeper.

Thanks!

I ended up trying the VCarve Desktop demo and then bought it (may upgrade to pro when I need something bigger than 24x24"). It does more than the Carbide Create demo and all of the Sienci demos use VCarve, so makes it very easy to follow along and learn quickly. They have a demo version.

1 Like

Vectric also has a good upgrade system where you only pay the difference to upgrade. So you don’t pay $300 for desktop and then $600 for pro. Not sure about the actual price but you get the idea.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I do like the idea that the demos/videos use the same software, which would help my learning curve! Laser is easy. Just use Lightburn for everything. LOL Appreciate the input! Looks like I will go watch the Youtube video again to see how each work.

Just went back and re-read the posts. I have a 30x48, so I may start with something else that doesn’t have a limit. Or just not do anything over 24x24 for a while. :smile:

I have not used it but wanted to make sure you are aware of Carvco Maker. It’s subscription based $15/mo. I don’t think it has a size limit, at least I couldn’t find one on the product comparison page. This is just my opinion but I would say that Carvco Maker is probably the second most popular software on this forum.

1 Like

When I purchased my Longmill, I subscribed to Carveco as the subscription price was a lot easier to stomach than a lump sum payment for Vcarve.

BUT…it didn’t take long (days) to figure out that I wasn’t going to get rid of the CNC in short order and that I would have paid for a Vcarve license in a reasonable amount of time and would then just have to keep paying the Carbide subscription. So I stopped the subscription and paid for Vcarve

The downside was that my Carveco models were now useless and the time I had invested in them was wasted.

@GregM Greg: You may already be aware of this, but I believe that you can export .stl format from Carveco, then import it into VCarve.