Christmas Contest 2021

@Skjersven25 Welcome to the group, Brad. You are certainly starting out here with a bang. I hope that you will post more of your work in the future.

Thanks Grant it been a lot of fun using my Longmill

2 Likes

@Davek I used the same feeds and speeds as MDF for the PVC with zero issues. I also have a sheet of ridged insulation thought I was going to use for Halloween decorations but didn’t try out yet.

Glad to hear that you have gotten comfortable with using the machine itself. Yes optimizing your process and feed rates/cut times is a challenge that every CNC user goes through, experienced or newbie.

Good to see you’ve asked the community for their suggestions as well! I also earned so much just through reading what others have suggested here.

1 Like

I have an unlimited supply of rigid insulation in varying thicknesses through work so at some point I’m going to have to try it out. Free product is always a good thing lol

1 Like

This one was for a couple who dress up like Mr. and Mrs. Clause every year. I cut this out of a piece of spalted maple and the inlay was walnut. I finished it up with mineral oil. I forgot to take a picture of the back but it has their family monogram burned on the back. I used a 1/2 90degree v-bit to do the inlay and 1/4" end mill to do the cut out. The design came off of Etsy.

1 Like

I have been doing a multitude of LED lights using a 90 degree diamond drag bit. The bases come from Amazon. Most files come from Etsy and then I modify them as needed. These have been fun to make for friends and family. These are just a few I have done this month.

3 Likes

@bhale Welcome back to the fold, Brad. Excellent entries. :grinning:

1 Like

Christmas gift for my niece. She was asked to be an announcer at the Tokyo Olympics this summer.

Carved in an old weathered piece of butternut with my 30 x 30 Longmill.
Used Vcarve Pro software.
Tools included 1/4 and 1/8 inch EM and 1/4 inch TBN (all from Sienci).
2 coats of clear coat.

Process and Lessons Learned:
Created a .stl file using a few .svg files in Blender. I used an old microphone, Olympic circles, 2020 and the Japanese letters for Tokyo to create a file which I brought into Vcarve and combined with a wreath from the software. I had one small challenge as I used a few end mills which needed to be zero based but after my roughing toolpass I lost the top of my workpiece and had to calculate each tool change using the high point of the model.
SVG I created to make .stl file
Olympic Mic 2020

4 Likes

@leafs4ever Welcome back, Jim. I’m sure that your niece will love it. :grinning:

Sometimes it is advisable to use the bottom of the workpiece, i.e. the spoilboard, as reference for z-height. As side effect, this guarantees that the carved object results with the right thickness and wont depend on the measurement of the uncarved workpiece.

2 Likes

Thanks, that is a great idea. I will definitely do that next time.

2 Likes

Thank you, I have been on the fb forum but I do like this one. I find it more personable. Have a great day.

I made these 3 candle holders on my longmill. They use 3/4" plywood and are a flat pack design. The design comes from here. I made 3 different sizes:

3 Likes

@JHahn @leafs4ever Jannik’s advice is good. Another idea is, that when you mill the material for your project, keep an offcut. Place that on your spoilboard separate from the project piece and use it for your Z0 location. As an aside, and from failed experience, I would remind you to make sure that, if you are going to set Z0 in gSender on the spoilboard, you set it on the spoilboard or the bottom of the material in your CAM software. :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks. That was my first thought but I ended up planing my board after I cut it. Another lesson learned.

Some more candle holders… a great Christmas gift! These were cut using the LM in two passes - one to rough and then a finishing pass. Two of the holders in the image show the output from the finishing pass from the LM… you’ll note that there is still quite a bit of sanding that needs to happen. All of these are still ‘unfinished’ but will get a coat of Rubio. The ones in the image are in White Oak and Ambrosia (Wormy) Maple… I have some Black Walnut and Ash that I will also be using.

2 Likes

I second the flocking idea. I use it on my custom gun boxes. I grabbed my kit off of Amazon.

1 Like

@rabult I really like the design, Robert. Is it yours?

Thanks, bought a kit from Lee Valley. Will give it a try.
Russ