Did a carving with my son!

My son was visiting for a week and together we designed this plaque for him. He is a gamer and the game Outer Wilds is a favorite of his.

It was carved on a piece of basswood live edge using a 90 degree vbit. Designed in Vcarve Pro after finding the designs online and took just over an hour to carve. The zero process was rather interesting as there wasn’t a right angle and I didn’t want to carve into the live edge. I was spooked by it but it turned out very nice. My son painted it and sanded it. I did the spray poly to finish it. Carved a keyhole on the back along with a special message to him. It was amazing sharing my new hobby/potential business with him.

11 Likes

@Jake Well done, Jake. A great father/son project!!

1 Like

@gwilki Thanks Grant! We enjoyed our time together doing this. Plus, I got to get into things I haven’t done before. Makes it all the more awesome :star_struck:

Learned a little something about how to photograph my work too. It really isn’t all that difficult. My messy shop takes away from the beauty of the pieces.

Thanks again!
Jake

1 Like

That look very nice. I try to get my son in the shop with me. He will be there for a bit, do a few little things then he is gone.

1 Like

meaningful parent-child interaction

1 Like

@acctek2005 Thank you! I would like to welcome you to the forum! Great group of people here that are very willing to help a guy out.
Thanks again!
Jake

1 Like