Dragon on painted white tile

I seem to be hung up on dragons lately. This is the same file that I used for the foam carving. This time, I used Lightburn to create this on a white tile painted in rustoleum satin beige. Clearly, the dark background is not as good as it could be, but as a first attempt, it’s not bad, I think.

9 Likes

I’ve been reading about powdered titanium dioxide mixed to a liquid and painted on with a brush. Some will add colored pigments and layers.

I’m trying not to imagine your kitchen counter top in dragons! :smiley:

@CrookedWoodTex I bought some titanium oxide powder and mixed it with various liquids. Some worked out ok, some not. The paint is simply more convenient. The trick is to buy a paint with as high a titanium oxide content as possible.

I think it looks very good, Grant.

1 Like

Incredible work Grant. You, obviously are quite talented.

1 Like

Exactly, but the metal (titanium dioxide) is all you really need. The fluid and brush/spray is just the medium to help spread the metal evenly. (I know you already know. :smiley: ) So, if you could do something similar to the powder coating paint process, it would be perfectly spread around. Wouldn’t that be messy?

OFF TOPIC: Powder coating powder is one of the rages with engraving/etching. Spread the colored powder into the engraving/etching grooves, then laser back over it to melt the colored powder (its really plastic). Voila! You have colored it now.

@CrookedWoodTex I’m just lazy. I tried the alcohol/titanium spray mix. Not bad but difficult to get it uniform. I tried pva glue/titanium. Not bad, but difficult to get an even thickness coat. I’ve tried various paints with some success. Bin was one of the best. I went with the current selection largely on the recommendation of N Norton, who seems to be the father of the process. I don’t really know if it’s better than Bin, but since I bought it, I’ll use it up. :grinning:

I have read about using powder coating powders and may try that some day. They are pricey, and in addition to be lazy, I’m cheap.

Like every coating process, perfection is elusive. So don’t expect powder coating to create any more of a surface coating that’s any better than a finish applied with conventional spray finishing equipment (air assisted airless, hvlp, etc.)