End Mill Selection

Hello, I have a piece of 3/4" hard maple I need cut. Its 3.75"x12"
I was hoping for some assistance with style of end mill I should be using, and also plunge rate and speed. This will be the first full cutting I have done. Everything else has been carving to date.
Screen shot of shape needed to cut below.

Thanks for any help! Mark

1 Like

@marktrail Welcome back, Mark. :grinning:

Iโ€™m sure that if you ask 5 Mill owners about bits, feeds and speeds, you will get 6 opinions. So, take this as no more than one opinion.

Being a lazy person, I try to avoid sanding where possible, so this is how I would cut that. I would start with a down cut 1/8" 2-flute end mill and cut down about 3/8". Then, I would change to a 1/8" up cut bit, start that cut at 3/8" and cut the remaining 3/8". This will give me a nice clean cut on both the top and bottom. I would run the Makita at speed position 3 or 4, and feed at between 100 and 120 inches per minute. In gSender, I would change this on the fly based on how thing sounded.

3 Likes

Agreed with @gwilki youโ€™ll get multiple opinions on feeds and speeds.

I will say the only thing that jumps out at me is the sharp inside corners for what looks like a tab that will insert in to something else. Your endmill will only be able to cut the radius of the endmill. If the clearances are tight and you need it to sit flush, you will need to under-size the tab so the radiused corner can sit inside the opening, or make an undercut so there is no material in the corner.

Sorry if I might have misinterpreted your piece at all and thatโ€™s not what it is.

But otherwise, the sweeping cutouts are a large radius, so if you went with a 1/4" endmill you can mill through that pretty easily.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I will give this a try.

Thank you, yes it will fit into a base. Its a bit of over the top ice fishing tip up (or others call them tip downs). I plan to embellish it with some carving after cutting it out. Thank you for the advise, i will probably widen it so I can trim it down on the table saw or router table. Thanks Mark