End Milling on Long work piece

Milling the ends of long work pieces requires more Z-axis space than Longmill can handle. Solution is to mount router upside down and reverse one pair of Z-axis stepper motor wires. Then build a frame to hold the workpiece above the router. No need to change any G-code for symmetrical designs like the hex pattern I wanted to mill

6 Likes

Necessity is the mother of invention!

1 Like

@OpaGMHart That’s brilliant, George!

Now that is thinking out of the box!

Hard to argue with the result. Well done!

Indeed. I didn’t want to do the obvious and cut a hole in the base of the Longmill bed, and the workbench supporting it, in order to mill the ends of longer work pieces. Building a sturdy frame above the Longmill was the critical factor to maintain accuracy. Fastening it to the T-Tracks in 3 places makes it secure and easy to remove.

2 Likes

That is indeed a very interesting approach to milling the ends of pieces taller than what the Z axis can normally handle.

I am planning to go the “obvious” route you mentioned and create a cutout in my table that’ll be about 60 cms wide (centred along the X-axis) and 15cms deep (from the end of the Y axis). Then I’ll afix a hinged table at 90 degrees to the table surface. The objective of that will be to mill dovetail and such joints in the ends of cabinets and framing… but it could certainly be easily used for what you’ve done here.

I am away from my shop now for another month, and when I get back I’ll start on this hinged table surface. Once it’s completed I’ll share it with everyone here.

Marty
Kingston, ON, Canada

1 Like