Family Crest on Vertical Longmill

After successfully testing my vertically mounted longmill with some simple pine pockets & cutouts it was time to see if it was up to a much greater challenge - a 3D family crest made from 3/4" oak.
Milling required 4 tool changes.
Layout & Toolpaths: VCarve
3D Roughing Pass: 1/4" 2 flute UC
3D Finishing Pass: 1/8" ball nose
V-Carve Text: 90 degreee v-bit
Profile Cutout: 1/4" 2 flute UC

It’s amazing how little sanding was required to finish the piece. A quick once over with 120 followed by 220 grit and it was ready for paint.
The machine has proven once again that even the forces of gravity can’t stop it from producing amazing works. Very happy.

Longmill production: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qaTqQZdpQ9M3Cthz8

4 Likes

Very nice! Is that a metallic paint?

Yes, it’s metallic paint from a local craft store.

1 Like

Hello. This looks like a great carve. I am considering purchasing a Longmill. Did I understand correctly that you mounted the Longmill vertically. Any issues with it working in a vertical position versus horizontally? Thanks.

If you click the link next to ‘Longmill production’ in my original post above and watch the first video I zoom out to show my vertical setup. The machine has been pushed pretty hard in this vertical configuration and so far performs just as well as horizontally. It’s a very well engineered machine.

I don’t think I saw anything in the videos, but I want to be able to store my LongMill vertically to save space when it isn’t in use. Has anyone got a solution to locking the Y axis so it doesn’t slide down due to gravity?

@drrkdrrk My Mill is not vertical, so I have no experience with this, but in other posts and in the Sienci blog, there is a mention of adding counterweights to the Y axis. If I recall correctly, the conversations were more for reducing wear and fighting gravity while running the Mill, but I suppose the same solution would address your question.

Search on “vertical milling” and you will find these discussions. They don’t talk about “locking” the Y axis, though, so they may not be what you are looking for.

Just out of curiosity, are you finding that the Mill moves downward while you are not using it, or are you just trying to avert that problem?

I’ll have a look and see what I can find in the other discussions.

And, yes. When I have my LongMill sitting vertically, powered off, the Y axis will slowly drop down.

@drrkdrrk My mill is 90 degrees vertical and the Y axis does slowly drop when powered down. I’m used to it and expect to find it ‘homed’ when returning. I see it as somewhat of a benefit as giving both sides of the x-axis rail a quick push down before powering on ensures the rails are parallel before each job.

It’s more of a storage concern for me. Each time I bring it down I bring the Y all the way to the back to line it up again.

When it’s slid all the way down, it’s difficult to walk around it. If it were up higher, it’s easier to duck under the gantry.