First Acrylic Diamond Drag Bit Engraver - Millennium Falcon

Hello!

Here is my first experiment with a Carbide3d MCEtcher Spring Diamond Drag Bit Engraver.
I don’t remember if i used the 90deg or the 120deg bit.
It ended up better than i thought, so i decided to cut the outline later. (Single Flute 1/8 Upcut)
The Source is a detailed outline of the Millennium Falcon (found on Google Image) and i did an Image Trace.

What i Learned:

• With that much detail, on a small acrylic piece (6"x4"), it took quite a while…

• Since it was a test, i had choosen the Zero arbitrarily when Engraving. When i later decided to do the Outline cut, i had to Zero on the image detail for the outline cut.
    It is not perfect, but it’s close.

• Since it was a test, i did not Flip the Image, so the Engraving is on the Front Side, this is usually done on the Back side of the Acrylic.

• I did not leave enough “Blank” at the bottom (When inserted in the Base), but since it was a learning experience, i am happy.

• Next time, i will not do “Since is it a test…” :slight_smile:

I then purchased a cheap Led Base from Amazon to test it the Edge lit.
The photos are not that great, but you get the idea…

5 Likes

I’m interested in etching acrylic as well, the results you have look great. What plunge and feed rate settings did you use?

Hello!
Here is what i used. It worked, but don’t know if it is optimal.
Plunge Rage=15.0
Feed Rate=45.0
Stepover=0.008
Full Depth=0.05
Depth par pass=0.025 (Second pass made it pop!)
RPM was ZERO = ROUTER OFF
Note that some Bits allow for Power Engraving, not the ones i used.
When i Zeroed, i made sure the Spring was engaged, and that the Retract Height was high enough to clear and that the Spring was released.

1 Like