From CNC router to CNC plasma Pt2. Installing The relay

I got the relay in from Amazon.com and installed it on the controller. Still waiting on the water pan.

3 Likes

Brilliant! I never imagined you could convert this to plasma. Awesome work!

1 Like

I 3d Printed the adapter to hold the torch with the router mount. I designed it in Fusion and put it on thingiverse.

1 Like

Really appreciate you sharing this! I debated getting a plasma table first, but decided to get a router due to cost. Would love to see videos of this up and working. Thanks again!

1 Like

The new video I posted last night I cut a “Bigfoot bottle opener” out of an old panel cover I found in the back yard. It will be better when I get the water pan installed, but it is working now. I think I posted it here as well.

1 Like

Awesome. Just subscribed to your channel.

1 Like

Same here. I wanted a plasma then saw some of the prices. Pus I have always done wood work. But everyone keeps asking when I will start metal work. So I decided to convert this Longmill to plasma. Then there is the matter of space. I have a small building. about 12X20 something like that. I have a large CO2 laser in there, with the Longmill, small table saw, There is no room left for another table.

Do you have a more in depth way of how you wired the plasma torch into the relay? I have a hypertherm plasma cutter but can’t seem to tell how you wired the controlled into the relay

1 Like

It is very simple. If your plasma cutter does not have a place to plug in a signal cable. just tap into the torch trigger.

Thanks for the help. Starting to figure it all out better now that I know my hypertherm Powermax should work since it isn’t HF. How did you get the touch plate for the long mill to connect? I don’t see a ground magnet like is used for the router.

1 Like

I have not got that far yet. I will start working on that again when all the orders fro the handsaws slow down. Right now I just set the tip of the torch about 1/8 to a 1/4 inch off the work and run it.

Oh ok , I had seen you try it in the one video but I think I’ll end up doing the same thing . Are you a lineman? Or just the type of orders that you do?

1 Like

Yea. If that had worked, it would put the tip right on the work. Mine needs to be put just a bit. Kinda new to the plasma world. I do work fir Pike Electric.

Nice I’m a journeyman lineman in Ontario Canada . Nice work with those saws

1 Like

Nice!
I was torn between a plasma and a router but like others, went with the router due to cost. Ive got a Hypertherm 30xp that I’d love to be able to use on a cnc.
May give it a shot once i figure out the longmill & software. Small steps but nice to know it can be done!

1 Like

So I’ve figured out how to run my hypertherm with the relay and g sender. My problem now is I can’t seem to get files to load into g sender or how to start/stop the laser module

The laser will fire with the spindle setting. make sure you have the spindle speed set to 12000 when you create the plasma tool. that will fire the relay to trigger the plasma torch.

this is how I set up my plasma tool in vcarve. 40 mm/min for 1\4 plate is what I was cutting.