gSender 0.6.5 Released: Feedback thread

@chrismakesstuff Chris: Iā€™ve been running files all day and things look pretty good. I have two issues:

1. My longstanding issue about why gsender opens an arbitrary folder when loading files. (I know. Nag, nag, nag.)

2. One of my keybindings no longer works. It worked fine in previous versions. I use the = key on a numeric keypad to start/run a file. It does not work in 6.5. I tried changing it to another key, then back to =. No luck.

1 Like

@chrismakesstuff Sorry for the piecemeal report, Chris. In addition to start/run no longer working, pause and stop do not work, either. Iā€™m using home and left on my numeric keypad for these two commands. All the jogging work fine.

Been away for a while and just getting to try gSender now.

Installed ok but when I fire it up, it doesnā€™t detect any machines.

Iā€™m not connect to the Longmill at the moment, Iā€™m connect an arduino running grbl on the bench with some external steppers as Iā€™ve been playing around with settings and learning the code. The board connects just fine to the same version of UGS that I run on the Longmill on the same laptop, but gSender doesnā€™t see it.

Any ideas?

The device is present on COM3 and COM3 is present in the control panel properties and operating fine - as noted above I can talk to the same device with other programs.

I saw a post that said it was necessary to set the baud rate on the com port to 115,200 to match the software. I checked, and windows had it at 9600 (odd, it uses 115,200 in UGS and works?). I manually set it to 115,200 and tried gSender again. No dice. Windows has the Arduino on COM3.

Would be really good if there was an option to force the COM port on the gSender side, since this seems to come up regularly.

For further background, this board is an Arduino Mega 2560 running a fork of grbl mega.

Might be a good idea to have a generic profile under machines as well?

@jwoody18 , this could be an issue with how weā€™re detecting boards. Iā€™ve seen one other report that gSender wasnā€™t detecting an Arduino Mega correctly but Iā€™ve havenā€™t heard any recent reports of this issue occurring with the Uno. Will have to get a mega loaded up to see if I can replicate

@Swinly I saw your ticket as well which added a bit more info. Iā€™ve tried testing this a couple different ways now with no dice on replicating the problem. Would you be able to send over a screen grab of your Probe settings and General settings? If you can also capture the console output during probing that would be handy as well

1 Like

Sorry, didnā€™t check the forum yesterday. Iā€™ll be getting back out in the shop a little later and try to get the info you need.

@chrismakesstuff

I think I did this right

They are in order starting right after a successful probe of XYZ. Then I change bits and start the probe to set my new Z. That is when it stops working and the below pics happen. After I abort the probing action, unlock Gsender and repeat the Z probe it works fineā€¦But the cycle repeats after that.

1 Like

My question to you is in mm how far away from the block is your bit when you do the first z probe.

I canā€™t see the pictures on my phone , too mall

But if your at 25mm when you probe on it will fail at about 10mm because it will only travel.about 15mm
Then on your second attempt, it only needs to travel 10 more and succeed.

So check the actual distance traveled when it fails and how much when it passes

@Menglor

Iā€™m not sure at the moment but it is at the same height for the failed probe and the second attempt that succeeds right after. During the failed attempt it doesnā€™t move at all. I donā€™t do anything but cancel, unlock and start probe again.

Brilliant! Took a bit of fiddling about but I found the bug thatā€™s causing this issue. Will see if we can squeeze this fix in for the new build thatā€™ll be coming out tomorrow. Thanks for the screenshots @Swinly!

3 Likes

Just a brief update. I tried 0.6.6 release with my Mega2560 grbl board and Iā€™m still not detecting any COM ports, despite just having used UGS with it moments before. Any idea why gSender isnā€™t seeing my COM port?

@jwoody18 we havenā€™t yet had a chance to look into this issue since most people using gSender are using the LM with the Arduino Uno but I have a Arduino Mega on order to load up GRBL-Mega and take a look. It could be the make of the board or it could also be the different firmware, when we re-built CNCjs into gSender we stripped out lots of support for other boards since most low-cost, hobby CNC are powered by GRBL and an Uno and we didnā€™t want to have excess bulk in the program.

Iā€™ll get back to you on this once I have a better idea

@Swinly @Heyward43 @gwilki were your noted issues you posted in this thread confirmed to be fixed in the new 0.6.6 release?

1 Like

@chrismakesstuff The issues that I have raised in previous versions have all be addressed. My compliments to all the development team. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@chrismakesstuff - Yes they have. No other issues found so far. Thanks for the quick fixes.

1 Like

Chris,

If you want lsusb info like the usbid I can plug it in on Linux and post that for you.

Is that how you are determining if a compatible controller is connected?

@chrismakesstuff
Yes it has been fixed. Sorry Iā€™ve been away for a bit. I meant to surf by and post a thankyou about it but I guess I got sidetracked.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, yes if you could provide this info and anything else that comes to mind I would appreciate it.

Iā€™ve now got some boards on the way to do some of my own testing as well :+1:

Iā€™m going to start closing these old release threads since as soon as a new version is released any comments or issues can be directed to the most recent release feedback thread.

If anyone that reported an issue here is still experiencing it, I would be grateful if you could update me and the development team here :slight_smile:: Official 0.7.2 Release Thread: Improvements for endstops, axis setting, and more - #12 by DLare