Ok y’all I’m a bit delayed on this as the past week has been chaos, but we actually release another version of gSender only 1 week after releasing the previous one. Why, you ask? Well there were some changes that came with 0.6.7 that we thought were good to go but caused some rather unexpected issues so with a lot of feedback over the weekend and a list of bugs we trudged forward to create a new release by week’s end! Let’s take a look at the new changes: @trust_level_0
- New macros not appearing for shortcut assignment
- Shortcuts not working properly
- Keyboard jogging running away or not continuously jogging
- Handling M0 commands (should avoid issues with programs like Carbide Create)
The final bigger issue was that the File load button sometimes wasn’t working. We’ve since found the cause for this is running the updater while not connected to the internet - weird right? Well in the meantime that’s how you can fix it if you’re still having that issue, but we’ll have a fix put into that on version 0.6.9 which should be ready in a few weeks time.
Since this release was more -impromptu-, the remains of this post will be similar to the previous feedback thread.
Things we’ve got our sights set on for the next release:
- Still more improvements to performance by streamlining data parsing and manipulation to improve reliability and reduce possibility for data leaks (enabled worse hardware to run larger files more reliably and smoother operation of gSender as a whole)
- Joystick control
- Run outline prior to job operation
- Start from a specific gcode line to save projects gone wrong
Topics I’ve noticed feedback on that we’ll be looking to address soon:
- Headless Pi operation
- More guidance for first-time users
- Manual value entry for X, Y, and Z locations
I’m happy that we got these fixes out in just one week, a big win that I’m happy for our team. This was another super productive past two weeks for the gSender development team. New documentation is still on it’s way to the gSender resources so watch out for that:
Most builds up to this point have been relatively stable but we just dropped the ball a bit on this most recent one. We’ve removed auto-updating so that from here on out you’ll have the choice to install the latest version at your own discretion. I know that gSender is still in Beta so to a certain extent these issues are to be expected, but we also hope that you guys haven’t lost the trust in our work as we continue development moving forward. We’re fast approaching Version 1.0 which will mark the completion of Beta and will mean that gSender’s core functionalities will be very stable from build to build.
If you’ve encountered any bugs or have feedback on this new release, let’s discuss!
Happy Thursday everyone!