Halloween Contest 2021

@frankchannel Tks much, Corey. Since I don’t have a 3D printer and I do not have Fusion 3D installed, I plan to use your pics to copy your design using hard wood and VCarvePro. I’ll let you know if I succeed. :grinning:

I could export the design as a .step file or another 3d format if that would be helpful for you…

1 Like

@frankchannel Tks much for the offer, Corey. I can import .obj or .stl, both of which I believe fusion will export. If they don’t work for you, I think that I can work with the pics that you have posted already.

@Pendragon Definitely a great spooky Halloween tombstone! And good use of multiple materials to produce the light up outlines.

@Paranesique It looks even better with the paint on. How did you set things up to cut the other side of the material?

Fortunately I have a 21" belt sander so I just flipped the board over and sanded it down until the epoxy became visible, but I think you could just use a hand belt sander to sand the surface down, there was only an 1/8" of material to remove

1 Like

This was the other piece

3 Likes

We used LED candles (need to make sure it is a bright one), figured real candles inside wood= :fire: :fire:, and my wife wants to keep them for next year :smiley:

Also updated original post with vectric file!

2 Likes

A bit late to the party, but here’s my Halloween project!

Model is from thingiverse. I used sketchup to place the model into a recessed block which served as the background. Used camlabs to create a roughing (1/4 endmill) and relief pass (1/8 ball endmill). Used a dremel to create the textured “frame”. Finished with some Osmo.

Only second attempt at some 3D carving so pretty happy with the results. Curious about how people handle finishing on these types of projects? do you do some finish sanding? it seems like a pain to try and sand and this is a pretty small piece, even apply the oil into all the nooks was tedious, any pointers appreciated!

1 Like

Hi everyone - thanks for participating in this contest! The submission period has closed. Since we didn’t have enough submissions, voting will not proceed, instead everyone who has participated will receive a prize.

We got to see a plethora of different projects, really happy to see the LongMill in action for this festivity.
I messaged you all separately to confirm the prize you’d like.

Cheers,

Kelly

4 Likes

Very cool! I assume the 1/32 endmill is tapered? What step over do you use on your finishing pass? Do you do any sanding or other finishing after the milling or just apply the oil?

1 Like

These is some awesome work guys !!!

Sean