Help with Bit Settings

Can someone help me with setting up this bit in Carveco? This bit is not built into the Armana library for this software.

It’s really sad that they never added it in the end.

Someone on the Facebook group had the same question and someone came up with this:

@janejohnson It’s good of you to try to help, Jane. Just a couple of things. The original post was over a year ago, and the bit specs shown in the excerpt from Facebook that you posted do not match the specs on the Amana website for the bit in question.

Ah, you’re right! Sorry to resurrect and old post. It seems I didn’t read the post correctly - that was just an example.

It should just be a case of copying the values though . Looking at the diagram Amana provides (https://www.amanatool.com/pub/media/productattachments/46280-K-L-v3.jpg) and matching it with the diagram Carveco provides I believe it should look something like this:

The stepdown, stepover, spindle speed, feed rate and plunge rate are just a guess though.

@janejohnson No apologizes necessary, Jane. It was good of you to try to help. I don’t use Carveco and I must admit that I find their “edit tool” screen a bit odd. The tool units are imperial, but the rate units are metric. I don’t understand why anyone would want to mix them. Anyway, no matter.

Not to belabour this, but I suggest that your feed rate and stepover are so conservative that you may not see the axes move. :grinning: You have it moving in X and Y at 25 mm/min or about 1" per minute. You have stepover at 2%. FWIW, I run a similar bit at about 2540mm/min or 100" per minute, keeping in mind that I am using it to run finishing passes, generally removing a few thousandths of an inch. I set stepover to about 8%. Even with those settings, I find things are painfully slow, but I do like the finish.