How strong are the LongMills 3D Printed parts?

Yesterday, I took the chance to put together a quick video that I think does a good job demonstrating the strength of the 3D printed parts we use on our LongMill CNC. We spend lots of time tuning our printed parts to be as strong as possible because it’s important to the reliability of the machine but is also what enables its cost-effectiveness :slightly_smiling_face:

There are a few other times we’ve mentioned our printing farm, how we’ve set our machine up, and what sorts of settings we generally use if any of you guys are interested in replicating our results. Truthfully we have different print settings for each and every part that we print, since the geometry of the part changes things like the thermal mass of the printed layer so each part needs its own tuned settings. You can check the text in the video description if you’d like to read a bit more about the technical aspect we’ve considered when it comes to material selection :+1:

1 Like

Since you are making the same parts over and over again you might want to look at an injection molding machine. I have seen small ones for $600 and used industrial ones for $2,500. The parts can be made a lot quicker. The nice thing about 3D printers is it only takes a couple of minutes to set up a job.

What kind/brand of filament are you using and where do you get it?