I need help setting up 110v spindle

I need some serious help and I figured that there are a lot of great people on here. So here goes.
I love my Longmill! It’s amazing! I wasn’t really in love with the noise of the Makita router so I decided to get a water cooled spindle. I ended up with an Amazon special. its a Huanyang 2.2 kw with Huanyang VFD. It is 110V verison. its what i have right now and no access to 220v.
i have found alot of wiring videos for 220 but not much for 110v. i need help with that and i also need help with the parameters. i am brand new to the spindle world and really dont know much about what i am doing.
i have gotten it to spin the correct way however it doesnt seem to spin at 24k rpms and i keep getting a code of eoaa or eola and it shuts down the spindle.
the spindle is a GDZ-80-2.2c and the VFD is hy02d211b.
i would REALLY appreciate the help as i have no clue what i am doing and i am getting to the point of just going back to the Makita.
thank you all so much!

Hey there! I am actually still writing up my guide to spindles with the Longmill but I can help you out as I have been experimenting with these extensively the past few months! I’ll post the general setup below and then we’ll look through the manual to see what our problem is. Prepare yourself, this can be a wall of text.

Disclaimer: I say it multiple times in this post to consult the manual. I do not want to be responsible for any damage to your VFD or Spindle. I include what I know of these spindles and VFDs from my experience and research. I can’t speak for your exact model, but I have owned the 110v/1.5Kw models and am currently using a 240v/2.2Kw model.

Let’s go over the VFD first and make sure this is all correct. The VFD has 3 input terminals and a ground which are R, S, T, and an Earth Wire / Ground (indicated by red wax on screw). On a 110v circuit you’ll have a hot, neutral and ground. It doesn’t really matter which order you put the inputs in, but for simplicity just wire the hot to R and neutral to S. If you had 220v the second hot would go to T. Wire the ground up to the Earth Wire / Ground.

Depending on your setup this might be a little different. I have mine wired directly to a breaker panel, which if this is your case you actually could have 220v just by installing a new 2 pole breaker for future reference. But if you’re running this via oulet you’ll need to pick up an outlet to put together or something like a replacement cable for a drying machine and wire that up. For reference, if wired correctly the smaller prong on the outlet should be the hot side.

After this we can wire the spindle up. The VFD will output through the UVW terminals. On your spindle because it is of Chinese origin and they just don’t care about grounding things the 4th pole in your spindle does not have a connection. You can open the spindle and manually connect this if you want to a metal surface on the spindle. Anyways, like the RST terminals it doesn’t really matter which way you hook these up as long as UVW are going to Poles 1,2,3 on your spindle since the ground is pole 4. If your spindle turns the wrong way in forward operation mode (FOR) just swap the U and V terminal on the VFD and you should be good to go. I wire mine so that UVW are wired to 123 respectively just for east reading.

After this you can power up the VFD and run through the settings to make sure they match your spindles parameters. These should match out of the box for the most part but I recommend double checking these.

PD001 = 0 (set control mode to operator board)
PD002 = 0 (set operating frequency to operator board, the dial)
PD003 = 400 (main frequency of spindle)
PD004 = 400 (base frequency of spindle)
PD005 = 400 (max operating frequency of spindle)
PD008 = 110 (max voltage)
PD011 = 150 (minimum frequency. this is set to prevent the motor from overheating. the motor is only rated for 9000 - 24000 RPM. If you wish to operate at a lower frequency then do not set this or do the math to find it. 24,000 RPM / 400 HZ (max) = 60RPM / hz, 9000 RPM / 60 = 150 Hz.)
PD141 = 110 (rated motor voltage)
PD143 = 4 (even though the ground is not connected it is still 4 pole)
PD144 = 3000 (RPM at the 50hz frequency of the VFD. 24000 RPM @ 400 hz is the max, so if we divide 400 hz / 50 hz we get 8, and dividing the 24000 RPM / 8 = 3000)

Now you should be able to hit run and turn the dial to start spinning the motor. Seems like this is all working well for you but just to ensure your settings are working you can reference those and double check your manual.

As for the codes you have EOAA and EOLA and the spindle shuts down. Let’s consult the manual to decode these.

On page 62 of the manual it includes EOAA and EOLA next to each other.

EOLA = Inverter Overload

1. Check whether the capacity of the inverter is lower. I think this means make sure it is rated for the motor you are using.

2. Check whether there is any jamming in the mechanical load. Is the motor jammed? Likely not.

3. The setting of the V/F curve is bad. This is code PD006 and is defaulted to 2.5. Have you changed this? Some guides recommend setting it to 3.0 for 60hz supplies such as what is found in North America.

EOAA = Motor overload

1. Check whether there is any sudden change in mechanical load. So demanding more power from a material that may not be suitable to cut with this spindle.

2. The equipped motor is too small. This means you may be supplying too much power to your motor. For example, a 2.2kw spindle on a 1.5kw without adjusting the settings appropriately to match.

3. The motor is hot and the insulation becomes bad. Overheating. You’re running the coolant through it right? Or is yours air cooled?

4. Check if you have voltage fluctuation. This one is what I am thinking you might have a problem with. Make sure you’re using wire that can handle the throughput of what you’re needing. The problem with 110v/2.2kw spindles over the 240v ones is that you’re pulling a lot more power through them and need a lower gage wire. 2200 w = 110v * amps. So if we divide 2200/110v = 20 Amps. That’s a lot of amps for a single appliance under max load. You’ll want to be using at least 12 gage wire for this. The same power output at 240v uses only 9.16 Amps.

5. Check whether there is a phase missing. This could be because the pole setting is incorrect in the programming (PD143) or because you may have a short in one of your wires or something. I would do a continuity test between your cables with a multimeter and ensure that UVW connect to 123.

6. The mechanical load is increased. Again, material that is too hard for this spindle.

My guess is that because your spindle AND your VFD are receiving overload errors I suspect that the fault is starting at your VFD, and because your VFD is faulting or may have the wrong settings it causes the spindle to overload as well.

Regardless, you don’t want to keep doing this because it can fry the VFD (I’ve already done it once!). There could be external factors here as well. Because you’re pulling a lot of amps through a 110v outlet you may be pulling more than the wire should for the rest of the circuit in your house / garage wiring if it’s only 14 gage or older wire that is not appropriate for the load. It could be getting too hot, lose it’s ability to deliver power as effectively and cause an overload. This could also be due to a setting that is wrong so o over those and let me know if you have changed anything already. Another external problem could be since that this outlet you are using is probably on a circuit with others is that you may be at the limit for it’s capacity with other appliances or devices running on it. 2.2kw on a 110v circuit can be intense, so check that as well.

In theory your breaker should trip if you overload it, but it could fault or just have an improperly rated breaker for the circuit so check that as well. 14 Ga. should only go up to 15 amps and 12 Ga. should handle up to 20. If your house is newer it should be wired with something like Romex and have the identifying information on the sheathing, or you can use the colors as a guide. White is typically 14 Ga. and Yellow is typically 12 Ga.

Let me know what you find and how things are going!

Also, @Andy1 this was not a very helpful comment. There are a lot of spindle questions here and not a lot of good spindle solutions. You took the time to comment on this thread and didn’t even link the one you searched to make this comment. I hate seeing “search the forums!” posts because they are unhelpful and lead to a bad forum culture that eventually ends up with 100 posts asking about a problem and maybe 1 deleted post or a post that never actually answered their question to begin with that they’ll never even find because whenever they search for a topic it’s only related results are ones that end with “Search the forums!”. Please at least link this thread because otherwise you’re being unproductive and unhelpful here.

2 Likes

i have set it all up using your instructions however it keeps popping up eoaa after 5 seconds. i currently have no control with the dial as well.
do you have some pictures of the wiring inside that is for the green terminal blocks?
thanks for your help so much.

It is possible your VFD may be damaged already if your dial is not working anymore.

I am currently not able to take a picture of mine in its current state but I can take one later. Here is a picture of just the main bus.

Grey Wires are Hot / Neutral
Black goes to pole labeled 1 on the spindle
Blue goes to pole labeled 2 on the spindle
Yellow goes to pole labeled 3 on the spindle
Green wire is ground wire

There is also a jumper to the right of the control bus. Make sure it is plugged onto the 2 far right pins. Setting it to the two left pins is for when you want to control the RPM via external controller such as the LongBoard.

Did you change any settings before you initially tested it? Does it pop on its own or just under load?

My response was not intended to be unproductive nor unhelpful, as I have the same questions, so I started by searching for past posts as I suggested here.

I found a topic called “VFD Wiring instructions” , however I was and remain unsure how to link it within the forum , hence my comment.

Thanks
Andy

Hey Blunderpunk - saw your thread and I was curious what brands/manufacturers/sources you were using for the spindles you’re testing. I was thinking of an 80mm water cooled but haven’t done a lot of research into it yet.

Thanks!