Led Zeppelin Hermit

So when I was at the lumber mill the other day, he had a scrap of hickory for 3.00. I didn’t know what I was going to do with it, but 3 bucks what the heck right? I don’t own a band saw yet, so my choices were limited. I looked around and located the hermit from Led Zeppelin 4 (Stairway to Heaven) album. I found a line art drawing and using VCarve pro made it into something my CNC machine could use. After messing with it for a bit, it was ready to carve. I sanded the hickory smooth and flat. Using a 90 degree v bit, it took 92 minutes to carve it. After very minimal sanding, I sprayed it with semigloss poly and waited for it to dry. Then I took black acrylic paint and painted it. Once the paint was dry, sanded it off with 330 grit sandpaper using my random orbital sander. Sprayed with poly again and the tribute to one of my favorite bands is done. Still need to flip it over for the keyhole to hang it on the wall. I did limit the depth at .25”. Possible I could have changed bits to make it go quicker, but I am not that advanced yet. Enjoy!

17 Likes

@Jake Great job, Jake. $3 very well spent. :sunglasses:

Nothing wrong with that, Jake! Good going.

That looks great! I like that the artwork works with the grain if the wood. $3 well spent.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben! Welcome back to the forum! My bride even let me hang it in the living room!

So this is my Tribute to one of the Greatest Rock and Roll Bands ever! I would like to enter it in the contest for this week (August 11-18th, 2023). I realize this was done a year ago, but my bride still has it hanging on the wall in the living room. A personal tribute, even she likes it. On a personal note, I have the Hermit on my upper arm as a tattoo as well. Thanks for looking and by all means, be safe!
Jake

2 Likes

@Jake I repeat. I love this one, Jake. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks Grant, I appreciate the compliment again! :grinning:

Love this and how you got the Led out.

Where did you get the linework from? Old motocross guy and would love to make this for my shop.

Thanks for the compliment. I got it from the inside cover of Led Zeppelin 4. Same picture i used to do my tattoo. I’m in the hospital on an unrelated visit. When I get home, I am sure I can find it.
Jake

That CD I may still have floating around and could scan. I’m not a fan of asking people for there work for free or not, but you just nailed this. Let me look and see if I have the old bought CD somewhere etc. Thanks Jake!

Great job! My machine will arrive tomorrow. I know will take time but hoping someday can achieve something this nice!

2 Likes

@BigDaddy57 Hey Mike, I did that piece within 2 months of receiving my LongMill. What is ironic, is that I attempted to make another Hermit on a scrap piece of walnut. Once painted, it looked like crap! Sitting in my shop in the scrap bin. That hickory was the right piece of wood and the art was centered well. I can not wait to see what you make! Congrats on you getting your LongMill. I so enjoy mine!