Longer usb cable

BillKorn
18AWG makes much more sense. I thought I saw 22AWG somewhere but I could easily be mistaken.

I had to disconnect and reconnect within UGS. It was completely non-responsive. I then had to reset my zeros.

Same as what lumpy said. Nobody was around the table at the time that could have bumped the loose USB cable

In my case, all my cables are tight.
My controller is on the left side of the Mill, on the top of the table, running parallel to the Y axis of the Mill. The Z axis cable was too short to put it anywhere else. I did not extend the Z axis cable.
I have had three different situations when it freezes. One where the run, pause and stop buttons are all greyed out, but I can jog the Mill manually. It will not ā€œreturn to zeroā€ as it has lost its place. The second one, all the buttons are greyed out and I cannot jog or do anything. I can close UGS and restart. The third one, all is frozen. I canā€™t even close UGS. I need to use task manager to close it down. Of course, it has lost everything then.
All of us with this problem need to take a screen cap of UGS when the Mill freezes and before we do anything else. Send this screen cap to Andy. This is what he asked me to do. It seems that until at least one of us can do that, nothing will be done to fix it.

Well, it froze again this afternoon and I got 2 screen caps, which I just sent to Andy.

The freeze came early in a big file. Iā€™ve had it freeze on this file before and Iā€™ve had it run fine before, too. It ran fine this afternoon after the freeze.

I hope that Iā€™ll hear something from Andy soon.

CRD: I had to do an unlock, then I could run it again. It had lost its starting point, so I had to reset that. I was running with no bit in the router, so lost nothing this time.

Hey guys. I got the screenshots which helps a lot because I can see it is an ā€œALARM 3ā€. This is from when the ā€œStopā€ button is triggered. We fixed this issue in the boards by adding 10uF capacitors across each switch to filter noise and found that it stopped all the interference that would trigger it. You can read about it in our 10th Kickstarter update (https://sienci.com/2019/10/23/kickstarter-progress-update-10/)

We found that most similar boards in this application have some sort of capacitor to filter noise and we have integrated them into all of our boards going forward.

We hand soldered all of the capacitors onto the boards to fix this issue, but there is a chance that we may have not had a good connection for the capacitor. if you are having problems with the machine stopping and seeing an ALARM 3 issue, please get in touch with me and we can help you fix the issue.

Thanks much for getting onto this so quickly, Andy.

Hi Andy
Itā€™s great that you have a solution. I was wondering if some people may have the lash adjuster over tightened and/or have a slight misalignment of the rails causing excess drag. The system may seem to function normally but stalls when the feed rate is too high or during rapids. The motor(s) may stall from lack of torque.

1 Like

Hi CRD,

We did design the machine in mind that some machines may have overtightened parts or misalignment. If because of that the machine is stalling we can help users on a case by case basis, but as far as I have seen, there have only been a couple of people who needed to realign their machine which doesnā€™t take that long.

When the machine is moving rapids/high feed rates, it is most prone to losing steps. The default settings have worked well for us, however we do go into further discussion here: Fixing the X-axis Torque-out issues

Best,

Andy

1 Like