Mixing Hobbies - Tap Handles

Homebrewing is one of my hobbies, so the longmill with a laser has been a fun addition. No more boring chalk board tap handles. Now I need to build a shelf to hold all of the various tap handles as I try new beers.

A mix of maple, cherry, oak and aspen.

(no association with Austin’s in Libertyville…)

12 Likes

I like the mixtures of wood types and the effect of the laser, Jay. Smooth work :beers:

Nice work fellow homebrewer! Did you cut out the wood with the Longmill?

Yep, this is my latest one. 1/8 bit for the pattern cutout, v bit for brick face, laser for burning the shield. Can’t see it now, but the shield has a tenon on the back and the castle face has a mortice so I didn’t have to worry about alignment.

3 Likes

Very nice!

I’ve been doing my tap handles on my 3D printers and want to add wood and metal to my options.

3 Likes

Are these right off the printer or did you paint them afterwards?

Haven’t gotten a printer yet, might break down next year and grab one.

I have made them in components the body, tops, and center plates are all separate. It makes them much easier to post process and paint. I have 3 printers a Wahoo Duplicator, A JGAuraora, and a Tronxy A5s, These were built as giveaways at a beer festival my brew club attends.

These are great!
You have a laser installed on your longmill? That is something that I really want to do in the future so that I do not need 2 devices. Can you give a little info on your laser? I know that there is another thread on here that has a laser installation, just curious if you did the same.

My unit is a Sansmart unit. Others have gone with a Bangood unit and some with the Endurance models. Lots of good info in the laser posts.

It works great now, took some tuning. Grab some resistors in case you need a pull down, my unit sourced so much current/voltage that the longmill couldn’t pull it down to 0 on the PWM pins.