My First Carve!

It isn’t much, but I named my machine today AND got it carved out! Not near as cool as some of the other “first carves”, but still brings a smile to my face. Just a junk piece of plywood to make the nameplate for the front of my table. Gotta crawl slowly before you stroll right?
Jake

5 Likes

@Jake Congrats on your first of many, Jake. :grinning:

@gwilki Thanks Grant! I am indeed excited. Need to get my workflow down pat. My design PC is in my basement. I need to move it out to the shop so I can be designing things while cutting other things. I must admit it was stressful hitting “start job”. Once it started, all I could do is smile. What a journey I am embarking on…

Jake

1 Like

I’m happy you got your first carve taken care of. You are so right about clicking start job for the first time and then smiling while The Beast does its thing.

1 Like

Sweet, it’s always nice to get that first setup and cut done.

1 Like

@Swinly @MikeH Thanks Gentlemen! Lots and lots to learn yet… Need to make some hold down clamps in addition to learning more about VCarve Pro and getting a workflow that I can manage, along with dust collection. Unfortunately, I gotta work the next two days and won’t be able to mess around with my CNC. But that will make getting back to it all the better!
Thanks again!!!
Jake

Awesome job bro! I told you your heart would pound a little harder when you hit start that first time! Let the beast out!! Going to be fun seeing what we come out with now!

@EdwardS Thanks Edward! Got to work a few days so it maybe Saturday or Sunday before I make it back to it. It was incredible watching it come to life and make something for me!

I agree, I do have some awesome things in my head to carve! Got much to do before all of that though. Figure out workflow and dust collection is next on my agenda. Bring out the laptop with the design software and extra big monitor. Make a bunch of hold downs are one the list too.

Once again thanks sir!

Jake

Yeah, gotta get all those ducks in a row first.

My dust collection has been pretty simple. My 1 car garage has 2" pvc running from my dust deputy and T-ing off at various tools I use with 3D printed blast gates. For the CNC I just added a T fitting a blast gates and ran the black shop vac hose from there onto the dust boot. Works real well right now.