New GRBL Gcode Sender: gSender

@rob - Rob, I think there are some issues with jogging that are showing up. Check previous GWilki and FAlviani posts. Hopefully the developement team has picked up on the issue.

Heads up everyone! I’ve just sent out a new email to all Beta testers with link to new Mac build (very much untested) as well as a Google Form to submit feedback about gSender

The form has unlimited submissions, so you can just send us feedback whenever you like, as many times as you’d like :upside_down_face:

Be sure to check your spam if you don’t see the emails coming through and mark the email as ‘not spam’ so that it hopefully doesn’t show up in your spam the next time around

2 Likes

Congratulations people, well done. A much-needed program. I am so very pleased to be able to use my z touch probe with confidence. Works perfectly. SO, my first thought is, the control buttons are far to small and the screen colour display extremely difficult for navigating on my laptop straining to make out the different buttons and information with the current colour scheme. Some may like it, but on a small laptop in a dusty shop with most of the display in tones of gray/blue/light blue/blue-gray/light gray, etc. I think you can kind of see where I’m coming (ha, ha) from gentlemen. Keep up the great work people.

Z Touch Probe

2 Likes

Yes, mine will occasionally have a mind of its own and take off. A total shutdown is required to rein it back in. When using my wireless Logitech F710 Gamepad as a pendant, the program will take off and continue to roll up the numbers in the last direction requested as viewed in the program location box. At this point, the laptop is locked up and a total reset is required.
Additionally, Please provide the opportunity to install the program at a location other than the default c: drive. Thanks.
Update: It is apparent that the Keybindings which use a combination set of keys such as ( SHIFT + RIGHT ) is the culprit upsetting my computer. By reducing the combination keys down to a singular keystroke, my computer and CNC are happy again.
Program Start
X Y Z Jogging

1 Like

Love its function and layout. The implementation of the z-probe is awesome and reliable.
the overrides are quick to access.
Biggest problem I have right now is connection reliability. It randomly disconnects and dumps the fire I have open so it looks like a new copy of the program. One time when it disconnected and dumped the file the router kept going.
Second problem is jogging around with the keys. fairly frequently it will just stop responding and I have to disconnect and reconnect to get it to respond again.
Right now the Gadgets seem to be greyed out and disabled but I am looking forward to them,
For reliablilty I would love for it to hold the last position in state and save its place in the program. maybe have a rehome to from paused so it can go back to the right position or something.
Also haven’t figured out where code view is.
I rebooted everything and un installed Openbuilds. Its been running for an hour at this point which is by far the longest I’ve made it so far. I’m very excited about the future of this program.

…nope nevermind, it quit after 1 hour 15
UGS Cut out as well. Gcode sender drops out every few minutes if I’m using it. Loading it up on my laptop to give that a try. Also ordered another printer cable to see if that fixes anything.

I have started a XL spreadsheet with these categories: Download and Install; Security; and Application Usage. For the install, it would be nice to have a trusted certificate tied to the software, my TrendMicro AV initially blocked the install (Windows, had to run as administrator and trust the Exe). App usage: I like to also run on a system that is not connected to the CNC to visualize the gcode, but this software does not connect to a com port first to visualize on my machine that is not connected to the controller. Also, I switched to inches, but still see Dimensions and Feed Range in MM.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Could you also submit via the Feedback Google Form :+1:

1 Like

Great initial beta on this software. Based on my first impressions, I rank it above UGS. Looks better, much easier to use and customized for your specific machines. I’ve run a couple programs on it already and am pretty pleased. Also having jogging issues with keyboard (X-box controller) movement in the Z axis. I’m going to run a laser program that has twice failed using UGS and will provide feedback afterwards.

Blasting my initial impressions out to the community, but don’t worry Chris, I’ll send it using the form as well :wink:

2 Likes

Can we have a discussion group to chat with people in the closed beta to talk about features, problems, suggestions, idea’s?

2 Likes

Sure, let’s give it a shot. I want to make sure we can keep up with all the feedback so I think if discussion happens then I’d just encourage all Beta Users to continue sending information via the Google form - otherwise I might miss that feedback trying to scan through the forum

I agree that the form is a good idea, however I think of it like throwing a rock over the wall. You throw it, but don’t know it was received, understood or following.

It’s send and forget, short term it’s a good idea, but after a while I suspect people will just assume someone else has reported it

2 Likes

That makes sense Stephen, I hadn’t thought about it from the perspective of feedback going the other way. Over the coming week the plan is to compile the incoming feedback and then release a list of upcoming changes based on what we’ve received. Hopefully that acts as a partial way for testers to see what we’ve heard from them

1 Like

It may be interesting to create a real quick GitHub repo or something like that for gathering issues and feedback. Even if it doesn’t have the code for the product in there, being able to see what’s already been reported, provide a “thumbs up” response to vote on issues, and/or discuss individual issues that way may be a way to indicate which issues have been reported/seen.

1 Like

Or did you consider making gSender itself Open Source? I think it would be a great fit - the Longmill Design is Open Source, cncjs is Open Source and it would be a good opportunity for the Community to provide Feedback (and maybe even some PRs)

1 Like

Yup, gSender is going to be open-source :grin: should be opening it up on github in the next two weeks

2 Likes

I just signed up for the beta test but have kind of a newbie question. Is there a version for raspberry pi setups or am I missing something? TYIA

1 Like

@HAWWK - It’s coming Jeremy. Windows first, Mac second and RPi third. Windows and Mac already out and in use

Perfect thank you Heyward! Thought I was being technically challenged again! :crazy_face:

@HAWWK , which Linux distro do you currently run on your Pi?

@chrismakesstuff I’m still pretty new to the R-Pi gig but, it is running the Raspian OS. Is that the same as distro or is the OS different?