Newbie Apologizes

Hi, everyone.

I’m trying to get serious on many CNC fronts, including dust collection. I see a lot of CNC-ers with really cool rigs that overhang the table and track with the router/spindle, like on a swivel.

Are there common designs or commercially available solutions for that kind of rig? I’ve seen some superbly creative personal solutions on the forum so far, but I need some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I should elaborate: I mean the kind of dust collection hose holder that looks like a “boom mic” on a TV show and is rigged to move over the footprint of the table.

1 Like

Hello @The_Unknown_Bassist! So I am embarrassed to say, I just got my dust collection functional after almost 1.5 years after getting my LongMill. It still is work in progress, but what is nice is I got the expandable hose in place and connected to the Sienci dust boot. It goes to a baffle where I go to a cyclone separator to hopefully capture more of the dangerous dust. I connected the hose to the wall and jogged my LongMill to the furthest locations and connected my hose. Even after jogging to the closest areas to the wall, the hose doesn’t get in the way of the gantry. I, too, thought I needed a boom and some people do have them, but this was easy, simple and effective. Most importantly done! Tomorrow, I’ll snap a couple of pictures. As my late dad always said, “more than one way to skin a cat”. This is the case as well.

I am going to build some form of boom for above my table saw. The bottom dust collection gets “some” of the dust but not anything above table. There is a lot to capture up top.

PS. No need to apologize for anything. Many of us here are new to the CNC world too. Lord knows I have asked numerous not so smart questions since joining the forum.
Jake

1 Like

Excellent! Can’t wait to see and thanks for the response!

This system works pretty well for me.

2 Likes

So pardon the mess. I just got done with a paid woodworking project that has nothing to do with my passion of CNC. My shop is trashed. Yesterday, I cleaned out the cyclone and the dust collector and installed a viewing window in the drum under the cyclone. I don’t quite have an opinion on the cyclone quite yet, and will be transitioning to 4" drain pipe for the majority of my shop. But here it is as it sits. It works amazingly well considering. The only negative is it is attached to the wall. That may change in the future, but I was SO sick of the dust in my shop. Hope this helps!

Love it :+1:t2: this is what I’m going to do.

Thanks for sharing :pray:

1 Like

Hey @Parkey , Let me know if you come up with something that works for a boom. I would very much like to get the hose off the wall and onto my CNC machine. The entire table is on wheels, but I haven’t moved it since starting to carve.