Newbie question - 50 stars for US flag with V-bit

Hi, I’m working with a US veterans group who needs to carve 50 stars in wood. I assume a V-bit would be the best. I have a 90 and a 60 degree bit - which would be recommended.

Also, I’ve be using Easel, but not paying for Easel Pro, so I can’t create Gcode for the V-bit with that. But I’m hoping there’s some free files out there so we don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Any help will be appreciated.

-Mike M

Think there are several videos on youtube explaining how to carve the flag into wood using carbide create. This program is very limited but intuitive, I would recommend it for this purpose.

@JHahn - thanks for the reply. I’ll check out the videos and ‘carbide create’.

-Mike M

@mike99mac your stars will be the same size regardless of the bit you use, the only difference would be the 60 degree vbit will carve deeper than a 90 degree. Pending 9n the thickness of your material you may want to take that into consideration.

1 Like

@HAWWK - thanks for the reply. A community member who contacted me offline has been most helpful. I gave him the dimensions of the star field and he sent me 3 gCode files - 90 degree V bit, 60 degree, and one that cuts the outline. So I hope to have two prototypes by the end of the day.

-Mike M
1 Like

Hello CNCers,

Did not get as far as hoped, but got one good test carve with the 90 degree bit:

I need a bigger blank to run the outline job, but thought I’d at least post one picture.

What is cool is the carve was under four minutes. I just watch in awe :open_mouth:

Thanks to all in the community and especially to one person (who knows who he is :grinning: ).

-Mike
1 Like

I have successfully used F-Engrave (free open source) for text and filigree type cutting with vee cutters

1 Like