November 18 - November 25, 2022 "A Project That Is a Sign or Clock" Contest

Good afternoon, everyone. We want to give a huge thanks to all makers who entered the contest for this week. We saw plenty of GOURDgeous autumn/thanksgiving themed projects made by all of you awesome creators. Thank you all for celebrating American Thanksgiving with our with us. It is such a pleasure seeing all the projects shared within our community of creators.

We are happy to announce that @JHS, Derek Carriere, Mark Van Hooren, Nick Nalbone, Steve Goodrich, and Nathan Weaver are the winners of the "A Project That is Autumn/Thanksgiving Themed” contest! Watch out for a prize coming your way!

This week’s theme is “projects that are signs or clocks”. Post your most creative signs/clocks projects that were made using your LongMill and share them with us for a chance to be one of the winners of this week’s contest and win free prizes!

Visit our blog for more information on our Weekly Themed Contest:

Weekly Themed Contest Rules and Guidelines:

Happy creating everyone!

Here is my entry to this weeks contest. Link

My nephew asked if I would help him make a sign for his friends wedding. He supplied the beautiful piece of walnut, (and the vision), and I was tasked with building it. (we actually made two signs for two friends but I have more pictures of the larger one).

I tried talking him into making a vcarved sign but he really wanted something reflective in the letters to be similar to a sign he found online.

I had thought about cutting the letters out on the front side then creating a square pocket on the back that I could insert a piece of polished aluminum or reflective acrylic but in the tests we did, the backing wasn’t that visible and to bring it close enough to the surface would leave too thin a piece of wood that could be prone to breaking. We decided to cut reflective black acrylic letters slightly smaller than the letters cut out of the wood then glue them in place. It turned out pretty well:)

The line that separates the name from the date is a welding rod that was glued into a groove cut with a small rounded bit. The small date at the bottom was cut with a v bit and painted black.

@KootenayWoodcraft Very nicely done, Gerry. I’m sure that the recipients will love it.

Thanks Grant:)
Apparently they loved it. Even hung it on a tree behind the head table during the reception!!