Plaque for outside

My old college fraternity had this metal plaque stolen from their covered front porch. Damn kids lol. Size is roughly 10”x 18”. I offered to replace it, albeit with a hard wood or a foam sign. I’m new at this and have only worked on wood. What material would you recommend? Budget less than $75.

If doing hard wood:
Will check out the lumber yard. They have a large variety of choice. Maybe something like oak? Something that stains well. As far as toolpaths, rather than the raised lettering and image the metal sign had, I would vcarve it with a 60 degree bit. Finish with an exterior clear epoxy. How bad of a plan is that?

@Clt49er It’s not a bad plan at all, IMHO. I would not use oak, though. The grain is too pronounced. It will take over the lettering. If you want to go with wood, look for something closed grained. Maple, cherry, birch, poplar, mahogany, teak. It depends somewhat are where you are located as to what it is available.

You could also look at PVC or find a corian offcut at a kitchen installer. The beauty of either of those is that they need no finishing. :grinning:

Do you have a good graphic file for the logo?

2 Likes

@cit49 my choice would be Red Grandis, similar looking to red oak, cuts very well takes all types of finishes and withstands weathering for outdoor use in excess of 50yrs. Current price is about the same as cherry.

2 Likes

From your experience, do you think the grain will overpower the lettering since he plans on v-carving the letters? I’m sourcing wood for a project with a lot of block-raised lettering and had similar concerns about the grain cluttering the design.

@Swinly It’s really personal preference, Lonnie. I don’t like oak for any carvings or signs. I find that when it is finished, the grain becomes the prominent feature. Many like that result.
I would suggest getting a small scrap of oak and carving a couple of letter onto it in the same toolpath that you will do your final project. It may work out for you. If not, you’ve not lost much.

1 Like

Appreciate it Grant. I feel the same. I think I was trying to talk myself into oak because it is easy to get around me. I will go ahead and finish a sample piece, just in case…

@Swinly I can relate to that. It’s plentiful here (Ottawa ON), too. :grinning:

2 Likes