Possible Linear Rail

I’m currently looking to upgrade my X-Carve 500x500mm CNC and was looking for this Long Mill and very interested in getting one soon. Wished I can just purchase the parts and able to use my X-Carve electronics since they are almost identical.

I’m also looking for a possible upgrade to linear rails and since this is also a OpenSource CNC design, I looked on the CAD and see if it can fit a linear rail.

I did some mock-up on the X-gantry with linear rails. Here’s some rendering.

Probably gonna add manufacturing challenges for the triangle mount and drilling more holes on the L-Shape aluminum extrusions.

Also, this only works on the 3" angled aluminum and won’t fit on the 2" on the Y-axis. It will need to be replaced by 3 inches too. Definitely add more parts but might benefit from more rigidity compare to the V wheels.

What do you think? It is worth it? Maybe V4. :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

Sorry since I’m a new user I can only attach 1 picture per post.

1 Like

Triangle mount.

1 Like

Adjusted Y-Axis Gantry

1 Like

And more holes for the X-axis Gantry. :smile:

1 Like

@siganberg Nice work on the mock up! I have been thinking about the same with adding linear rails. The only thing different I was try to figure out is attaching the linear guides to the outsides of the angle extrusions. We can keep poking @andy and @chrismakesstuff about the possible V4 upgrade!

1 Like

I think inside still the best place, X-Gantry looks like almost the new expensive X-Carve Pro. :smile:

I’m working on the Y-Axis right now using 3" angled extrusion. I think the Y gantry looks better on reverse facing, the lead screw facing outside. This has the advantage of blocking dust from cutting and hiding it if you have housing (I’m working on CAD for that one too)

2 Likes

Any updates on this?

Decided to scrap the idea and just pre-ordered OneFinity CNC. It’s more robust CNC and probably end up spending close to the price if I pursue this idea.

1 Like