PPE CNC Projects?

Hi All,

I’m not a Facebook member and don’t wish to be, so I’m afraid I can’t join the forum discussion over there. Dave Riganelli started a discussion over there about possibly CNC cutting head gear for facemasks to support the need for PPE. There is a design around that uses 3 hole punched overhead transparencies on a compression head piece.

I’d like to take a stab at CNC cutting the head piece but I don’t have the files. Would anyone here know where to find them?

-Jeff

Jeff, ditto on Facebook. I’d be very interested in the head gear files, too. Thanks to whoever can pass them around.

My wife has a facebook account and she found Dave on there, but there is nothing on his page about PPE headsets. He has a Youtube channel, too, and there is nothing on it about PPE, either.

He posted in a thread on the Sienci group on Facebook. I wish they would migrate everyone here but I can understand why they don’t want to risk losing anyone.

-Jeff

I misunderstood, Jeff. Sorry about that. When my wife returns home, I’ll ask her to look for it.

Thanks Grant, much appreciated.

-Jeff

Here is a link to dxf, pdf and stl files for the shield frame. I’ve just found this, so have not tried any of them yet. I will open them in vcarve and, assuming that I can create toolpaths, I’ll post them here.

https://pwp.gatech.edu/rapid-response/face-shields/?fbclid=IwAR2umdFtu9KIgaTar8Qzne5LNG9hCI5Z5qaPu0fQ3beHl1G-gzXgtmQCgJs

Using VCarvePro, I could not open the dxf file at all and the stl came in looking at the frame from the y axis, and I don’t know enough to get it to “flip” somehow to get it oriented in z.
I did get the pdf imported, cleaned up and ran tool paths. I have not cut it yet, but it looks good. I don’t know where I would be able to find suitable plastic anyway, but I figure that if we can get good files or gcode, maybe some have materials. The Georgia Tech site says that, ideally, they are 3/16" thick, but that 1/8" should work. They advise against 1/4". I imagine another factor must be the flexibility of the material.

I ran one in 1/8" mdf just to see how it would work out. It works very well.

This forum does not accept dxf as an upload file format so I tried to attach an svg. It seems to take the upload, but does not show in my post, so I don’t know how to do that, obviously.

The pdf file on the Georgia Tech site works well in VCarvePro, though.

Thanks for the link. I’m going to give this a try today if I have a thin enough material in the shop. Not sure what I have on the shelf below 1/4", hopefully I can find something.

I don’t have any suitable plastic, which his really what is needed. I also don’t have a source for the plastic/acetate for the shield itself. One of the sites said that you could use overhead transparencies. I have a box of them, but they are way to thin.

Hmm I hope my transparencies might be ok, if not I’ll try and return them I guess.

I have the file open in Fusion now, but wow the tolerances are down to 1mm in places. What did you use to cut something so fine? I don’t think I have any suitable bits. :frowning:

I used a 1/16" downcut endmill. I did a simulation using a 1/8" and it did not work at all. The 1/16" did very well. The small hooks that the shield engages look perfect. They are the most precise detail.

I just ordered a 1/16th yesterday from Amazon but it won’t be here for a few weeks due to being low priority. I will double check but I think I broke anything that I had that was even close to that small. The cost of learning CNC. :slight_smile:
-Jeff

Certainly, if you look at them the wrong way, they break. I hold my breath every time I use the probe module with one. FWIW, I got mine from Lee Valley.

Well, as I learned reading about the Nemi Ships, sometimes the right answer is that if you can’t raise the boat, lower the lake. I’m wondering if I can modify the design slightly to accomodate 1/8" tooling. Looks easy enough for the inner piece. The part around the tab requires more thought.

-Jeff