Question about doing an inlay on a dome?

I have the dome inverted and the text flipped, I also put a vector boundary around the 3 D dome, (It is symmetrical ). Do I need to put a boundary around the letters too? Man I’m feeling a bit stupid about now. It just v carves into the shape. It’s not standing proud.

project.pdf (454.8 KB)
When I do that, this is what I get.

If you select the text and the outside vector for the v-carve it should make the letters stand proud.

The screenshot it from the test that I did, maybe it will help, and don’t feel bad man, we all need a little help from time to time.

Micheal, this is what the 2D view looks like right now.`
picture.pdf (240.1 KB)

`

So I’m thinking I’m not understanding cut depth at this point.
cut depth issue lol.pdf (722.5 KB)

Ok, for cut depth, according the pdf I use for guide you want a start depth of 0.0 and a flat depth of 0.3 inches for the female, convex, part and a start depth of 0.1 inches with a flat depth of 0.2 inches for the male, concave, part.

I have always used those numbers, converted to mm because I work in mm. I assume you could change them if the proportions are the same but have never tried.

Here is my preview, did you use a pocket or vcarve toolpath? I ask because your letters seem to have vertical sides. I have never done a traditional inlay, if that’s what it’s called, only vcarve ones.

1 Like

So those same numbers apply to this no matter if it’s a dome or hollow? I way over thought that one. Here it is using the numbers you gave. I guess I was thinking how could the numbers be the same if it’s on a curve.
picture1.pdf (1.5 MB)

Yeah the first set of numbers for the ‘sunken’ letters and the second for the ‘proud’ letters.

Oh and your preview is looking better though it’s hard to see the concave nature from directly above.

Lol Michael, cut time is 36 hours. I must have to do some sort of a pocket cut first true?

You can use a clearance tool with vcarve, like a 1/4 inch ball nose.

Michael thank you so much for your help. There is definitely a curve to it. Michael I think you got me on the right track. I’m going to play with it for a while and see if I can get the cut time down. I’ll keep you posted on my progress on this project.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

Glad to be of help sir, good luck!

1 Like