R8 spindle on Altmill? 500W, 50-2500 rpm for $150?

To make room for a new 4x4 Altmill, I got rid of an old 1hp milling machine that I rarely used. A month later, I find myself in need of milling some mild steel.

This is less than $150, delivered.

Any thoughts on the rigidity of the Altmill, assuming light cuts, a ½ steel plate clamped to the bed, and placed in the front right corner of the 4x4? Perhaps using a magnetic vice to hold the work.

@Sweetbob I doubt you’ll get a definitive answer because it’s unlikely that anyone has done it. Maybe you can be the first :thinking:

Were you planning on controlling the spindle manually or try to connect it to the SLB? If SLB, I’m sure that will be fun.

Maybe just contact the person you sold the mill to and see if they’ll mill your stuff.

@Sweetbob Welcome to the group. I moved your post out of the “dust” category.