Raspberry Pi - Gsender - Hardware required

Hi,

I have been having issues with my machine disconnecting when using my surface book 2. Not that often without the dust boot on but with the dust boot on even though it is grounded it will happen within 3-4 minutes. I tested another laptop of ours and it made it through multiple jobs without disconnecting with the dust boot running, however I cannot have this laptop in the dust at all time so I was thinking of using a raspberry pi.

My question is what hardware is required for a pi? My understanding is most people put raspberry pi os onto a pi, connect a screen and mouse and download gsender onto the pi. Is the screen required or how can I use my laptop (with the bad usb connections) to remotely control the pi so it can just sit there plugged into the mk2 without any screen, mouse, keyboard.

I currently have octopi running on a few 3d printers and can easily remote into those using the ip address.

Thank you!

1 Like

I don’t have much to offer on this question because I don’t run my machine with a Raspberry Pi. Hopefully someone who does will chime in. I just wanted to say that maybe you should look into gSender Edge. I have read on here that it has a headless mode and that sounds like what your looking for. Searching the forum for gSender headless yields some results that may be useful.

This one in particular, is from the Sienci team.

Maybe this will get you started on the right path. Good day to ya!

Michael

I would be very cautious using a Raspberry Pi; they are extermely sensitive to static. I use one for my thin client to work and it has a fit whenever I cross the room and touch my keyboard. While this seems to only affect the monitor (I’ve verified the screen itself isn’t the issue), I’m sure it could also impact a CNC machine, something far more dangerous than a monitor.

I run gsender on my pi 4 for the last month now and works great. I do not have a dust boot though. I do use a usb cable with the ferrite choke/cores from the pi to the Cnc. I have heard the vacuume tube can create static, and some people wrap a wire around the hose and run it to ground

Ps. Gsender was super easy to get running on the pi

You know, I was just about to post a question that kind of pertains to this.

I was initially planning on u sing gSender on a Pi in much the same way I run OctoPrint for my 3D Printer. After setting up the software on it I printed a case that mounts to the printer, set up a voltage converter so it doesn’t need a separate PS, and it directly controls the printer. When I need to use it I just manage it through the web interface, and I’ve never needed to connect to it directly to set it up.

Today I went to do the same for gSender and realized its not a standalone image like OctoPi, and because of that I’ll need to order a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter, and an OTG micro USB hub, and then keep all a monitor, keyboard, and mouse hooked up to it directly. All that brings down the total value of having it on a Pi (although its still GREAT to see it as a supported option, thanks Sienci!)

Is there anyway to set it up on a Pi to run headlessly like I do octoprint. In that same vein I’ve messed with the V1Pi which runs both OctoPrint and CNCjs headlessly like I’d want. I don’t know what kind of an undertaking it would be to set up something similar with gSender on it though. Does anyone else know?

EDIT:
This is pretty much what I would want (although it still requires the extra hardware to set it up initially)

Is this supported on the Pi version?

Welcome to the forum @Twisthem488.

Does this documentation help?

Doh, that’s exactly what I need! I looked for it first, but not well enough it seems. Time to see how well it works on my 2 W.

Thanks!

1 Like

twisthem488, I would be interested in how you like this and how it works. I currently use regular Gsender on a pi4. I do not run headless, I just have the pi (with monitor and wireless keyboard) directly connected to the cnc machine. Works great, but this seems like a way to run it on a handheld tablet/phone like a “remote/pendant” by vpn into the pi.

I didn’t like it. I’ve built an MPCNC and used the V1 pi for control but for some reason gSender was unusually slow on my pi2w. Instead I just set up an old all in on computer on a pneumatic monitor mount and it’s been working great. I set up RDP so I can remote into my main computer for CAD work and I save all my files to my NAS so I can easily access them on the AIO.

gSender on a pc is excellent though. I’d very briefly looked at Linux cnc, CNCjs, and candle and so far gSender does everything I need in a very clean, intuitive, and well thought out manner. I don’t know why Chinese CNC brands don’t just recommend you download it instead of using Candle. It would make their product seem way nicer.

1 Like