RE: Center of letters carving out?

Hey Raster,

So how did you select only one letter from the entire text? I can’t see to select just one letter, it only allows me to select all of the text.

You can select a single letter if you convert text to curves, the icon is in the same row as draw text. After you do that you can’t edit the text as text anymore.

As far as the tool not fitting, it doesn’t fit inside the letters. The flat depth is 0.0625 and your letters are only ~0.024 wide.

Edit: Here is a photo of one of my engraving bits.

The “flat” is basically too small to measure. Something like these on Amazon that advertise a 0.1mm tip would fit in your letters. You may find better ones I just did a quick search.

Edit2: I just noticed that the Amazon link had 3 different bits, 15, 20 and 30 degree included angle. The 15 degree ones break the tip kinda easy in my experience but they do go deeper. If you search you may find one set that has 2 or 3 of each size in one inexpensive set.

Check this set out at $7.99 for 20 bits, who cares if they break or don’t last forever, IMHO. Plus you get 4 sizes to experiment with.

1 Like

@_Michael As for fitting inside the letters, why couldn’t I just have the z depth very shallow to etch/engrave the wood? I thought using a smaller tip (.0625) would allow more detail and if I keep the z depth shallow. Also, how did you know the letters were only ~0.024 wide. I don’t see that anywhere.

So this pic is what I’m using as inspiration. I thought I could carve with a small angle vbit, but I keep running into problems.

When doing a v-carve the bit depth is determined by the width of the space you are carving. The bit goes deep enough that the V fills the space between the lines. So if the flat width is too wide it can’t fit in.

I used the measuring tool.

1 Like

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here is a drawing I did to help explain what’s going on.

In the drawing pretend the little circles are the ends of lines that extends straight into the screen. You can see from left to right how the bit angle affects the depth of the cut. The last one on the right is your bit that just can’t fit between the lines.

I hope this makes sense, if not let me know.

1 Like

@_Michael NOW I get it. Thanks for the explanation. I thought I could control Z to get the width I wanted.